Google Home Mini - A great little tts speaker

There we go, init did the trick..

Usually means your Google Home device changed its IP address. Make sure to create a DHCP Rservation in your router to prevent them from changing.

1 Like

That fixed it for mine. They've been a couple of days now without dropping out.

Thanks, done.. will report back if it happens again

You got the MP3 playing in MC to work with the native Chromecast integration? How did you do that? I havent been able to get that to work.

If anyone is interested, (@cknickl ?) I have released my little app & driver

Andy

2 Likes

This could be used as a UPS for a Google Home Mini where always ON was necessary. :slight_smile:
Battery base

@Cobra Just a thought if you still have a problem with the connect sound on the minis: If they are muted then they make no sound on connect. So the automation could be something like the following, assuming that you keep them muted as default:

1. Make simple announcement (like "i" or a single space " " seems to also work) to make sure the connection is active (no sound or connect sound due to muting)
  2. Unmute
  3. Make TTS announcement
  4. Mute

Though this will add some latency to the system, it would keep the dogs sane.

1 Like

@Raghnall
Michael, that's a good idea!
My dog has finally gotten used to it (I think) so not so much of an issue now.

However; I'll look at adding this as an optional switch to the 'speech synth' side of things as it may be useful for someone else.
Personally, most of my announcements are not time sensitive, in that, adding a second or two before speaking would not affect things.

Thanks for the idea

Andy

@aaron, @keithcroshaw

Thought you might want to know that Apple Music support is coming to GH and hopefully we finally get Sonos integration by Q2 this year.

1 Like

Yes I know!
And they pulled the discount that's been tempting me on the Music app!

I will probably commit now... After I fix my Jeep that sounds like 1990 Toyota for no good reason...

1 Like

Really bad comparison, a 1990 Toyota was my first car... it was really good. Maybe a Ford :joy:

Just imagine a Jeep that sounds like this thing in your mind:

2 Likes

Ick!!!

1 Like

Here’s to hoping. But we have been led astray before by Google and Sonos.

2 Likes

Can anyone list some of the things they are using TTS for. Will be useful as I am going to start setting it up soon.

2 Likes

Door status
Laundry status
Replies to laundry queries about, which machine is running
Windspeed warnings in the summer (lower umbrella)
Additional Smoke notification
Additional CO notification
A message to thieves in my home, if they're bold enough to stay while the siren is going off.
Announcement, "Some one is at the door" when the button is pushed.

3 Likes

I have just finished the discovery so not sure where to go next. Can you give an example of how do I set it up.

I’ve never used the integrated Chromecast support. It that the one you’re referring to?

Doors opening/closing.
Locks locking/unlocking/type (digital versus manual).
House status at bed time (open sensors, lights still on, doors open, etc).
Weather alerts and warnings.
Windows open when rain is predicted.
Arrival/departure of me or my wife.
High power usage on outlets.
Doorbell presses.
Motion detected on cameras/sensors.
House mode changes.
Low battery alerts in devices.