Google Home and Virtual Switch Control

Hi everyone

For a while I had a set up in place where I had exposed a virtual switch into Google home and alongside a Google Routine I was able to sync a switch in hubitat that came on and off when my Google floodlight was on or off.

Ive done some work on things to tidy up and decided to re do this. I can expose the virtual switch fine from Hubitat and turn it on and off from Google Home but when I try to create the routine neither the floodlight turning on/off or the switch turning on/off appear in the list off devices I can use as triggers or outputs.

I've tried changing the device type from switch to outlet in Google home.... Nothing.

All I can find is this article which says there is potentially a problem at the Google end

Does anyone know of the way to do this?

Is there is another way of controlling Hubitat devices in Google home with a similar level of simplicity?

I have a virtual switch in HE that I have shared with Google Home and can select it as a starter in a House automation in the Google Home App on my phone. I haven't gone all the way through to fully setting up the automation.

What integration are you using for Google Home on your HE hub? Are you using the built-in one or the Community developed one?

Thanks for confirming.

I cant see my hubitat device in the list to either be a trigger or an action/output.

I am using the one called Google Home, I think its the built in one.

There was an alternative way I saw to do this where the device is connected differently and involved setting types and traits but it was quite complicated and I couldnt get it to work.

Then I'm not sure, unfortunately, I am also using the built-in GH app on HE.

Ah, have you added it to your home in the GH App on your mobile?

Yes, its added and turning the switch on/off myself in the GH app works fine and I can see the switch state change in the Hubitat device page when I do it.

Might want to sign up for the public preview. I have the ability to use a Hubitat virtual switch as either a starter or an action when selecting a Household routine (even in combination with the Nest Floodlight):

Yeah that's what I'm using

I've just noticed that there is a slight difference in the options if I pick Household or personal when creating the routine.

When I pick household the ability to use a device as a starter is there and I can use the floodlight as a trigger but the Hubitat switch is still not in the list of actions.

If I pick personal then the option to use a device as a starter is not there. But I can see my Hubitat switch in the list of devices in the action section.

Found the answer.

By default the devices are not added to your home or a room, even though they appear fine and work OK.

Adding them to a home and a room means they work as expected.

1 Like