Google Assistant Relay Alternatives?

Hello, community:

I have dived deep into how I can use my HE to control some of my "smart" devices that are only integrated with Google Home/Assistant. Unfortunately, the Assistant Relay developed by greghesp@ has been stalled for 2+ years; many dependent packages are outdated or deprecated. I probably can still get it to work by installing an older version of nodejs; however, it is a matter before one of the dependencies breaks.

What is the community's current solution to this? Many Thanks!

mfsun

2 Likes

Controlling end devices is best kept with Hubitat. I have replaced all the google-only web devices that I could with Hubitat compatible devices.

In situations where this was not an option, I have created virtual devices (sensor/switch combos) in Hubitat, and then used those to trigger routines in the virtual assistants. This works well enough, but is only a stop-gap measure.

Thanks, Sebastien!

I unfortunately have few very expensive Brilliant light switch panels that I am not afforded to switch out. However, after ton of research, I have put the under the cover of HE with an old Smarthings hub and HubConnect, where Smartthings provides the native support with Brilliant.

1 Like

Be aware that SmartThings is phasing out support for Groovy, and the IDE is also going away.

So start planning on an mechanism other than HubConnect to integrate SmartThings and Hubitat. Perhaps through Node-Red?

Thanks for the reminder. As I'm not planning to add anything more to this lengthy route (SmartThings -> HE), hopefully I can maintain the status quo of them?

But you are right, it just matter of time I need to invest in a backup. Are you in a similar shoes? If so, what are you using now?

Fortunately for me, I'm not. But there folks here who integrate SmartThings and Hubitat using Node-RED. So, even if/when ST completely drops Groovy (so HubConnect will stop working), there is an alternative path to integrate the two.

You may wish to bookmark this helpful post from @mavrrick58 on integrating SmartThings with Node-RED.

I know little about their switches, but glad I was persuaded to avoid them. They don’t seem long for this world.

I’ve read there is a limited HomeKit integration. Perhaps that’s an option too. It’s also Alexa enabled, so I would think that should be an option for control too by using virtual switches that function as contact sensors as well, together with Alexa routines.

2 Likes

:point_up: This is what I would probably consider as well. It should be noted that one does not even been to own an Amazon Echo device to use Alexa. You simply need the Alexa app added to your mobile phone/tablet, in order to link Alexa Skills to Hubitat and Brilliant. Then, follow @SmartHomePrimer's sound advice to use virtual switches and Alexa Routines to link the two systems together. I have used a similar setup for my Ring Doorbell for years, and it has always been very reliable.

2 Likes

@mfsun You could probably also use Echo Speaks if you need hub variables in your commands. That is an integration I've been avoiding for years, but the lastest version 4.x seems to be very much the opposite of what I've been concerned about. Performance of my client hub doesn't seem to be suffering at all and the integration is very mature. Thank you @tonesto7 and all those that have contributed to that great effort.

1 Like

To expand on what @aaiyar has neither am I really, but I am also very aware of how Hubitat can be kind of lacking when it comes to cloud integrations.

As he pointed out I have switched to basically using SmartThings as a cloud integration aggregator. The Samsung Automation Studio in Node-Red is fully supported with Samsung and uses the new Smartthings API, so it has Long Term Support. When you load the Hubitat pallet in Node-Red and use Virtual devices in hubitat you now have a way to mirror devices between Smartthings and Hubitat Via Node-Red.

It is actually pretty quick. The only potential impact to responsiveness is if you use Event Subcriptions with Smartthings API Automations, or polling from Node red to get updates from Smartthings. Event based updates from Smartthings are nearly instant, while pooling has a max of every 5 seconds I believe

I have a Raspberry Pi image i posted in a different thread that can help you get started if you want.

I use this specifically with Arlo Cameras to pull motion, Sound, Doorbell Putton push into HE as triggers with custom device driver. It can then also act on certain event triggers in HE to turn on/off the camreas, and also activate the alarm on devices that support it.

1 Like

There is also this thread that might help as well

It could be possible to write a driver for your Brialliant switches, but this method uses polling..

2 Likes