Google and Alexa co-hubitating

I just wanted to share that with help from this forum I have a kinda funny automation working. As Google and Amazon battle for smart speaker dominance I have made them work as a team. I have an echo show near my front door. The show can display my ring doorbell cam, but only if you say "Alexa show front door". Well I want it to automatically display the camera if someone rings. So I have a routine in Alexa app that triggers a virtual switch in hubitat. When the switch is on that sends a tts command to a Google mini that sits behind the echo show. So the Google mini tells alexa to show the front door camera when someone rings the doorbell.

8 Likes

Lol, that is quite ingenious...

It’s silly we have to do these things isn’t it? Unless someone can point me to a setting, I’m unaware of a way to lower ( I don’t mean do not disturb mode) the volume on Google Home by schedule. So I have my Echo sitting next to my GH mini telling it to lower and raise the volume on a schedule. :joy:

And if you want to see a wired workflow (that works brilliantly by the way), to force Google, Amazon, and Samsung to work together for Hubitat’s benefit, look no further :grinning:

2 Likes

How do you get the echo to talk? Oh wait. That's the link. So basically I could do the same thing but instead if using the Google mini I could us a dot? That would be better for me

Do you can use whatever Alexa device you want and you actually don’t even need to own a google home or a SmartThings hub. This just uses Google Assistant cloud services, to SmartThings cloud, to AVS

How's the delay?

Averages 4 seconds for TTS. Usually a few seconds slower after a SmartThings outage. The Google Assistant control of devices is a consistent 2-3 seconds.

It would be better if that stupid tts token wouldn't expire.

1 Like

Well crap. After all that work it turns out I could do what I was trying to do by just using routines in the Alexa app. Yes it's still redundant having an echo dot right behind my echo show but so be it.

1 Like

Yep. And if you just trigger that virtual motion sensor as switch that @cwwilson08 provided (using whatever method you prefer to trigger it), then anything can trigger an Alexa routine to speak or do anything else a routine is capable of doing at this time.

Revisiting this topic.

Can I speak a command to Google mini and have the Assistant relay it to my dot? Does that make sense?

It would have to be very canned. What I mean by that is, you have the capability to activate the virtual motion sensor as switch device in the SmartThings cloud, and then that can activate an Alexa Routine to do something you set it up to do.

So the activation of that virtual motion sensor as switch can be done with a Google Assistant routine too. You could have a single thing you say to your Google Home to activate the virtual motion sensor as switch on SmartThing, and then that would activate the Alexa Routine. You could also setup multiple things that you say, activate the same device, and therefore the same Alexa routine.

The thing is, it's all pre-defined phrases to activate routines. You are not able to say just anything and have it give a result on the other device.

If you really want Google and Alexa being even closer check this out:

https://alexamods.com/guide-install-ask-google-alexa-skill/

I knew about that but I want to say something to my Google mini and have my echo dot repeat it.

Like an intercom. What smarthomeprimer is saying sounds promising. Now how to set up a Google Assistant routine to flip the virtual switch?

Very generic but this is how you do the Google Assistant part. Follow my posted instructions for information on how to setup the SmartThings cloud part.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.