Goodbye Fibaro - Hello Foxx Project - Cheap Dry Contact

Going to try with the Xiaomi. Very economical. Thanks for the driver code, I'll leverage it for the xiaomi driver

Well i tried on the xiaomi and it works when i touch the wires to get open and close status. However i failed on the code or maybe xiaomi cannot work. Force open and force close do not seem to do anything. Was trying to use as a dry contact relay.

The driver I wrote is specifically for the device types I listed.
It will not work with the xiaomi devices at all

You will need to 'adapt' one of the available xiaomi drivers to have the switch capability

Andy

Yes i took the xiaomi door contact driver and added your force open close routines. Im guessing its not that simple :(.

I don’t follow? These do work as input. That’s what I’m now using to indicate when someone pushes a regular doorbell button.

These are input devices only. There’s no relay to close. However, there is the new Xioami Aqara Double Relay. I’m using that too for activating the Arm and Disarm of a fob, bringing at least a little local control to my iSmartAlarm system via HE. However these are not dry contacts from the factory, so I’m closing two 12O volt relays, to give me true isolated dry contacts. Works very well and it was inexpensive.

1 Like

That would explain it. Since it cannot act as a dry relay it wont work. I guess the zwave door contacts can.

Ok well maybe i can find another use for it.

Really need the dry contact relay version, looks like only expensive options.

I missed this bit in your post.
This device can only work as an 'indicator' i.e. it will tell you when the two wires are connected or not.

I read this and got excited. Thought this guy did it on HA but not sure

What he is actually doing there is using the xiaomi device to tell the hub the position of the switch (i.e. on/off)
You can obviously do that with HE and make it appear as a switch.

BUT,, the device won't switch anything by itself.
It's only like a controller.
You could use this to control connected bulbs using rule machine or something similar.

Andy

Here's the setup I'm using for the dual relay. This won't be as inexpensive for everyone. I got the Omron relays for free with visa reward points, but it is inexpensive still. Just need to make sure it goes into a project box so you are safe from electrocution. The Aqara dual relay module contacts do have 120v AC between them and ground, even when the relay jumper is removed. I had the project box already, so my costs were kept down. My out of pocket was just the dual relay module.

Ordered these 120v relays

And this dual Aqara relay, which I got with a coupon code from @veeceeoh, which is no longer valid (I tried to order a second one with the same discount code). Gearbest and Bangood both now have it for $26.99 US, which is still a great price.
https://www.gearbest.com/access-control/pp_009589424862.html?wid=1433363

No door/window contacts of any kind will act as a relay. They are just translating a physical closing of contacts (i.e. The magnetic reed switch in the Mijia door/window sensor) to digital on/off.

If you need to translate from digital to the physical, then you need a relay like the qubino or the Xiaomi Aqara I posted above. But just to emphasize again, the Xiaomi are NOT dry contacts, hence the reason two extra 120v coil relays are needed. I'm closing contacts for a fob that runs off a 3.3v cell (which I converted too, so it doesn't need to be powered by battery). If I were to connect that fob directly to the Xiaomi Aqara Dual Relay, there would be some fireworks and smoke!

2 Likes

Thanks guys for helping the noob. I will repurpose that for other things
Looks like Qubino is the way to go.

Hey @kewashi ....... have a model number on that sensor?

Thanks!

DWZWAVE2.5-ECO

Just search for “eco link window sensor” on Amazon

Hi where can I get this driver ?
I downloaded this one but its not detecting as a door sensor.
Its showing as an on off switch.

Has anyone managed to use a dry contact like this as a warning light sensor. I don't need an illuminance reading. A simple light on/off is what I'm going for. My septic motor controller has a warning light on it. I just want a way to get notified if that light comes on.

I don't have one, but this looks interesting:

@velvetfoot that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Except, being the tightwad that I am, I was hoping to solder a cheap photo cell of some sort to the dry contact of a door/window sensor that I already have lying around. To hopefully save a few bucks and learn something in the process.

I was going to suggest one of @iharyadi ’s Environment Sensors but realise now you are looking to mod something you already have.