Good Door/Window Sensor - ZIGBEE

CR2450

1 Like

For giggles tried to pair it in HA with my Sonoff ZB3 stick and Zigbee2MQTT - was unable to get to get it to include. Ran Add Device on my Zigbee dedicated C5 and it came right up. Tried both multiple times and everytime the C5 worked almost instantly. To be fair there are more devices so a better mesh but I also tried right next to my RPi and still could not get it to work. I might try the C7 next.

:thinking:

1 Like

Apologies for the multiple posts but yep as expected C7 works too thanks to the same chipset, C7 on channel 20, C5 on channel 15.

3 Likes

They are compatible with zigbee2mqtt. So, while I don't know why it didn't include, it should have worked ....

1 Like

Yeah was getting ready to post a followup - some weirdness with my SB3 stick - had to plug it in a different usb port. Now working as expected.

1 Like

Why I was interested in them due to the design of our windows.

1 Like

Yeah I'm going to add them to all our newly replaced basement windows. We'll see how they hold up but at that price - completely worth it I think..

1 Like

My big thing were the kids windows. I had some smart things one but they're really too fat to work well on those windows

1 Like

Reporting back again - don't mean to derail this thread but figure people are interested in finding a decent and inexpensive sensor and so far this seems to be working as advertised. Also kudos to the eBay seller - got my shipment off quickly and devices were as promised..

Yesterday installed 5 of these ct sensors on my new basement windows. All paired immediately with no issue. As of this morning they are still on the hub, no drop offs. Interestingly they can handle a bit of a gap between the magnet and sensor. By luck the color and design makes it look like it's part of the window which is nice.

_PXL_20220628_120423011adj

I'm giving this a tentative thumbs up.. :+1:

4 Likes

According to the spec, it can have a gap of 1.25" - fantastic!

I also ordered a few lots of these.
I am very interested to mount them on the inside of fridges and freezers - they are also a temperature capability. We shall see how they stand up to the cold!

2 Likes

They set up so quick and smooth...

1 Like

Since you stated that they "set up so quick and smooth"....
I would like to contrast that with a recent device.
I was setting up 10 water sensors in a house, and I purchased for the ocassion MOES Zigbee sensors. (aliexpress).
Not one of them would pair the first time.
I'm not sure why, but everytime they would "partially" pair as a device, and I would have to pair them again, in order to get all the zigbee clusters available in the device details page.
What a pain!
Every one of them had to be paired twice!

I've seen that with Tuya stuff...

I see now the same behaviour (the first pairing is usually not successful) with Aqara motion sensor. BTW, same happens sometimes with ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT coordinators.

But for me this is normal, nor Tuya neither Aqara devices are designed to work with anything else different than their proprietary hubs.

2 Likes

Man, those xfinity XHS2-UE are effin' awesome -- I was foolish not to pull the trigger sooner!

Noticeably faster response times than my ZSE41s and a heckuva lot cheaper. Plus, the 2450 battery is a nice leg up over a 2032.

And they are much more forgiving with placement finickyness; my scalloped-edge door frames don't make it easy.

Hopefully the battery life isn't ridiculously bad -- that's about the only thing that'll doom these for me.

If others are interested and any linked eBay seller doesn't have stock, just search eBay -- I got numerous hits by other sellers too, and prices stay pretty consistent even if just doing a 3- or 5-pack. I'm a happy camper -- thanks for the tip on these! :+1:

2 Likes

So one of the issues may be battery reporting.. It seems to work in HA but doesn't in HE. Hard to tell since all my sensors are recently installed.. The HA battery was reporting 27% and when I put it in an HE paired sensor to test it showed 100% - dunno if it was still using the old value but hit save, config, refresh and triggered the sensor - no change.

1 Like

I'm a bit spooked about that possibility, and I have a tin-foil hat theory that something bigger is amiss with Hubitat's battery reporting for (at least) some zigbee devices...

My 2 Third Reality sensors (1 ea contact, motion) are both reporting low (mid-30s), but both use mains-powered battery-conversion kits that should put them ~70% (both kits test as kicking out ~2.95v). This drop from ~70 to mid-30s just started happening with a relatively recent HE release, but I didn't note which one.

Mike is emphatic the issue was fixed for Third Reality stuff, but no joy for me and there are other community users who also are still experiencing the issue.

I have zero evidence, but my spidey senses are saying the issue is bigger than just Third Reality stuff, and it's some kind of hiccup with HE and zigbee... Time will tell, I guess!

1 Like

Could it be that HA was incorrectly reporting battery level?

1 Like

Good to know. I bought 30 but need 6 more.

That is an excellent question! I don't know the answer - just noticed HA reporting 27%...

Battery was originally from the package so supposedly at 100%.. I did have that debacle where I left the "permit join" on in Zigbee2MQTT so I thought that was the issue.

:thinking: