GoControl thermostat and Hubitat app options

The Gocontrol z wave thermostat model GC-TBZ48L can run with a C wire or if you dont have a C wire or decide not to add one, will work on 4 double A batteries. The jurys out as to how long the batteries last because i just installed mine a few days ago

Oh I get that, was saying for power so you don’t have to deal with batteries except for power outage

I agree - he's a great seller on eBay. A number of us have purchased Iris 3210-L smart plugs from him (he sells them in lots of 5), and Iris contact and motion sensors.

1 Like

So any idea when Alexa will be supported? I do almost all my smart home control from Alexa. Who wants to pick up there phone all the time? This is the most important feature for me.
I am currently using a Sensi as well and it has been good.

Thanks

First, let me say, you definately want to have the Gocontrol thermostat NOT UTILIZE BATTERY POWER. I dont know about other people but TWICE , I only got barely two weeks out of the batteries. I ended up using the green fan wire as my common.

Now as far as Alexa, and I'm presently talking from my experience, but by utilizing a virtual contact sensor in Hubitat which IS RECOGNIZED by Alexa, you can ask her to raise or lower your thermostat by the number of degrees you specify in rule machine. I know its nothing fancy but that's all i really needed. Hope that helps

1 Like

Thank you. Is there a way to tell Alexa a specific temperature? Maybe a virtual switch for every temp -from 55 to 75 at least. WAF and all :-). She likes to tell it a specific temp.

This is really simple. Here's what I do. I use a virtual dimmer, then extract the level the dimmer is set to, and set the thermostat to that temperature. I've set limits on what the acceptable dimmer values (65 - 75), because I don't want it colder than 65 or warmer than 75.

Finally, I have a virtual "hold" switch, and the dimmer can be used only when the virtual hold switch is on. Otherwise, the thermostat is controlled by pre-programmed ranges.

Here's the rule ...

1 Like

I think I will be able to do this, but want to run it by people first.

I have a few Zooz 4in1 sensors (temp, motion, humidity, light). I want to be able to use them to set the temperature on the thermostat in 1 of 2 ways. Either based on motion in a particular room or an average of the whole house. Then take that number and set it on the thermostat.

I have a Nest now which isn't wired properly (no C wire) and is causing problems. I was looking at Ecobee but it looks like it can't do the above and everyone complains about the servers. So now I'm thinking of the GoControl or the Pearl.

You can only set the thermostat set point. You cannot set the temperature being sensed by the thermostat.

However, for some thermostats, you can change the thermostat’s temperature sensor offset (bias).

I was just reading your comment about your comparison of 5 zigbee and z-wave thermostats. Do any of them allow for setting the temperature being sensed?

There is no thermostat that permits setting that directly. There are several that permit setting the offset. Which is all you really need.

Do the math in your app or rule machine to calculate the offset, and then apply it to the thermostat.

1 Like

The GoControl thermostat is supposed to be able to let you use an external zwave temperature device directly as the main temperature. I don't know of anyone doing that, though, or if it even works - haven't had time to mess with it, and my other temp sensors are mainly zigbee anyway so I have no need for that function.

From bcopelands driver:

1 Like

Interesting. Learn something new every day.

Just installed this one. My first tstat install so I’m graduated from the thermostat noob class. A few observations since this seems to be the all things GoControl thread….

The circuit board is exposed on the rear of the back panel, be careful how you position the wires before you press it into the backboard. Those wires are sturdy, and there are two protruding condensers on the circuit right opposite where the wires come out of the hole in the backboard, you risk jamming those condensers hard against the wires…. probably not a big deal since no one else seems to be having any issues with that, but that still doesn’t sit well with me leaving circuit parts jammed with pressure like that…..

I joined it as a non-repeater but still on the mains power by not connecting the C-wire until I joined it on batteries first, but that’s just my particular requirement, will not apply to most of you.

The tstat works and looks fine, and I actually like having the physical buttons and the simplicity of it. This replaced an old Honeywell series 6000 non-connected tstat.

The minimal configurable differential (aka delta, aka hysteresis, aka swing…so many terms used) on GoControl is 1F from the setpoint. On the Honeywell it wasn’t even an option to configure, but Honeywell would kick in heat/cool way too frequently, it makes me think the delta on that was 0.5F now that I compare to GoControl less frequent starts (to be fair, the Honeywell had cycles-per-hour, or CPH adjustment, as a possible alternative to hysteresis control, but I never got to play with it…). Must be better for my pump, and gives me more silence in the house. But I have to set the heat temperature 1 degree higher than the Honeywell to have the same level of comfort, not sure because of the hysteresis difference, or differences on the temp sensor calibration, or maybe both. Also, in my particular situation, it’s making my upstairs get colder due to unfortunate way my system is built with less air flow reaching upstairs…. Which means I may need to install ThermostatControl hysteresis rules to possibly lower the delta to 0.5 during the nights… but that might be a topic of a separate discussion on the hysteresis management and comfort levels.

Also, this used to be a cheaper thermostat, but not anymore...it's between $120 - $145 on Amazon lately.... :grimacing:

That's nuts. I got mine used on ebay for $21.99 back in June (from alex_sari, who is pretty well known around here). It has worked flawlessly for me since then.

eBay deals are different. But the full price used to be around $90 before if you wanted a guaranteed sealed unopened item. Now it's up by 50%....

Same here. Got from Alex Sari on eBay. Backs what he sells and great price on the Go control thermostat that I've had for almost 2 years

I bought and subsequently removed this thermostat last month after failed attempts at getting 0.5 degree changes even though the display shows 0.5 increments. Multiple emails to the manfacturer about a firmware update but no answer.
My old Honeywell did 0.5 C so I ended up buying another Honeywell just to get the delta down to 0.5. In F one degree is fine but in C it gets too cold before the furnace kicks in.

It supports 1F delta which is 0.5C. Not sure why you could not make it work. Maybe you got an old firmware version.
But it does not support 0.5F delta. I'm pretty sure my old Honeywell had that, even though it was not in the settings.

Have you tried using ThermostatControl hysteresis feature to control it instead? It's not something I want to do, but I might have no other choice with this thermostat. Right now I'm Ok with 1F degree delta, I actually like having it kick in less frequently, but this might not be enough during extreme heat or cold weather.