Ghost in the Machine? Deleted Simple Rule still switching

Hi All:
I have a strange issue that I cannot seem to resolve where two different switches are still turning on in accordance with a Simple Rules timing that has since been deleted. In other words, the two switches (connected to fountains) switch on at 6:00 AM and 6:15AM respectively.

I originally changed the times in the Simple Rule, but they persisted in switching on at the old times. I have tried restarting the hub, deleting and reinstalling Simple Rules and recreating the ruleā€¦ all to no avail, they persist in switching on at the original times. I have checked the ā€œin use byā€ to make sure there is not another rule triggering them, and I have also checked the logs. Has anyone had a situation like this? I am not sure what to do to correct it, other than to set a rule to switch them off 1 minute after they switch on. I will also note that they switch on very reliably at the same time each day.

Both are on a Kasa strip with other switches in use that are all working correctly, so I donā€™t think it is a device issue. Also, nothing shows in the logs when the ghost rule triggers.

Any other integration that you may have forgotten about?
IFTTT or something like that.
Just a thought.

Itā€™s a good thought, thanks - I just re-checked, and no, while I use IFTTT, itā€™s not associated with either of the switches in question.

Have you tried a reboot? I wonder if unschedule() didn't get called when the app was deleted, somehow...

Actually that's a good point.
If you go into the device, scroll to the bottom, is there anything scheduled for the device.

Hi @adamkempenich Yes, I have rebooted a couple of times since trying to troubleshoot this. I also did as you suggested @bobbles and the only thing showing scheduled is a device refresh.

When power is removed from the switches, when restored do the switches default to on.
I don't know what a 'Kasa' strip is.
Could this be turning off and on and causing the switch to come on.
Just trying to think of other possibilities.

Hi - The Kasa strip is a multi-smart-switch strip (6 individual switches) - if the strip is unplugged, the switches retain their prior state when plugged back in. Also, the other 4 switches in use on this strip are behaving normally; so I am not suspecting a device issue. Also, the two switches with which I am having issues turn on at exactly the same time every morning.

https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-plugs/kasa-smart-wi-fi-power-strip-hs300

OK, @bobbles, you got me thinking - I used to have my system on Smarthings, to which the Kasa was connected via cloud. The smart things device itself has been unplugged for months, but it is making me curious as to whether Smartthings cloud might be directing this device from the grave... will delete everything in the old ST account and see.

1 Like

Ok - that was it. SmartThings cloud continues to direct cloud-connected devices, even if the SmartThings HUB is no longer functioning/connected! Thanks for inspiring me in the right direction.

1 Like

Wow--- interesting... Thanks for the followup!!!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.