Getting a regular wired smoke detector to work with HSM and HE

I am at nervs end right now.

I currently have a First Alert Smoke dector that 1. has gone off for no reason. 2. when it does go off for no reason it never notifies me via the app. SO these things are gone! there are so many "smart" features that do not really work.

with that being said, I am looking to get new doctors, I think I am going to just get regular wired doctors, I found a few that I like for a good price, but I would like to find a way to get them to possibly notify me in some way remotely if they do go off.

someone mentioned a Shelly UNI, could do it, but I know so little about the Shelly products and what would I need to get and setup to do that.

anyone doing this? any help?

thank you

1 Like

Yes. I have off-the-shelf hardwired smoke detectors independent of any home automation platform. But I use an Ecolink FireFighter (Z-wave plus), which listens for the smoke/CO alarm and I use it to also send a notification on Hubitat.

1 Like

thats a cool idea, I wish they had ones that were powered by USB or hardwired, but it seems to do the job. thank you

My Ecolink FireFighter has been in use 2 years and the battery (CR123A) is still 100%, so that's not too much of a concern. It needs to be installed within 10 inches of a smoke/CO detector, so there's not much chance of power being there.

1 Like

Another vote for the Ecolink Firefighter. One year use so far with battery still at 100% with testing every month. Has never failed on my monthly testing. Just make sure to get the z-wave version. The Zigbee version is reported to have problems with HE by several users.

1 Like

There are three types of fire detectors. One uses a photoelectric detector to detect the large smoke particles emitted from smoldering fires.

The second uses an ionization detector. These have a small quantity of radioactive material between detector plates that allows detection of the smaller particles released from flaming fires.

The third type of detector can be used to measure excessive heat. This type of detector might be useful in a garage where car exhaust can lead to false alarms, but it should never be used as the sole method of fire detection inside the home.

Ideally, you want a combination of both photoelectric and ionization detection in your home.

Photoelectric sensors alone can be problematic in the kitchen as an overheated pan can release fumes that can trigger the sensor. Some brands of smoke detectors combine photoelectric sensors and carbon monoxide sensors in the same unit. If the photoelectric sensor is triggered, but the carbon monoxide sensor does not detect a rise in CO concentration, the alarm will not trigger at low levels of smoke. This can prevent false alarms.

1 Like

I understand that, I know all about the types, I just would like to be notified other then just the noise, that is why I am looking for something that works with HE and HSM .

1 Like

I'm not clear what kind of smoke detectors you have. If you have hardwired smoke detectors, then use the Kidde Smoke Alarm Relay module, and connect the NO/C wires to something like the input terminals of a ZEN17, which is also hardwired.

Then use relay state in Hubitat to trigger whatever else you need.

1 Like

I use Nest Protects (Hard wired) with ecolink firefighters and it works great. I also have them tied into the bathroom fans and kitchen stove hood so if they go off, all the exhaust fans go on.

1 Like

Just theorizing here, but in the event of a real fire, wouldn't the fans pulling the air out, tend to add oxygen to the fire?

1 Like

For me it's the smoke and just getting the hell out. I don't think they're powerful enough to really affect the fire by drawing in oxygen from outside.

Iuse a fibaro smart implant to make my dumb alarms smart

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.