Geofence thinks I'm away when I'm Home

Hmmm, Im honestly none the wiser:

and as you can see I'm using a very large Geofence:

Based on an online calculator I think it is detecting a change of approximately 2kms (a bit over a mile for many of the community) with some of those lat long values, which is more than the radius of 400m you have configured.

I can't explain why that is the case... Unless it's basing some of those readings off local mobile towers and you are moving between them... Not sure if that is a thing...

1 Like

Thats wy I went with hombridge and iOS Home that is native in Iphones . The problem with Apps(geofency) is that my kids kills the apps in there iPhones and then they dont give the coordinates . Home app sends coordinates always in background.

1 Like

That sounds like it's worth looking into; do you have a forum link that describes the requirements and setup process?

I already have HomeKit running on an iPad but it's really not doing anything useful atm.

I went with this one

and this on the Pi

One thing I like about the home bridge that I like is that I now can adjust my ikea shades with the chronograph on my Apple Watch also and get all other devices of course. Also when I arrive in the Geocircle a Garagedoor button pops up on my Apple CarPlay witch feels very smooth and nice or I just can ask Siri in the Car to open the garageport. I use LGK Virtual Gaeragedooropener app in HubitAT..

1 Like

1 Like

Cheers, I'll read up on it. I wonder if it can be installed on Synology NAS or Ubuntu Linux?

EDIT: that's a yes :slight_smile:

Hmmm I think its possible.. Go for google on it...

Yeah it is, just not on my weak AF DS213j. Looks like I'll have to install docker on my Ubuntu Plex Server.

1 Like

That turned out to be unnecessary, I used the node.js version:

Some people are using Bluetooth beacons as an additional check. Easy enough to stick one of those little tags on your keyring.

1 Like

I actually considered getting the Samsung Zigbee presence key fobs but I hate the idea of more crap on my key ring. I just got rid of my old alarm key fob.

I need to have more of a play with the homebridge as it’s not running as a service ATM, at least until I understand it better.

Hopefully adding that second gps presence will solve my issues.

But then its dark when you come home... You must get so close to activate home mode. I want my house and every light to already be on when I come home..... otherwise you can use a button....

1 Like

What does that mean?

as soon as I quit the ssh session, the node.js app quits too.

And in English ? :joy:

1 Like

lol, SSH is a text based connection to my Linux server and I havent setup the homebridge app to run as a background service yet (as in always on).

1 Like

Ok im fully up and running with Homebridge and have HomeKit presence detection added into the mix!

These instructions were by far the best (but there's still a lot of messing about with JSON code before it'll talk to HE:

It wouldn't be your primary presence detection but would prevent false away triggers by combining presence devices. Having all your presence detection on your phone even if it's multiple different apps or apps and wifi is still a single point of failure. By adding a Bluetooth tag you wont get those away for one minute trips when your phone goes into power saving, gets an update, or whatever. I have a credit card style tile that I can just stick in my wallet.

1 Like