Geofence "leave" fires Lock command but

Have I run into a bug? When I leave the house (iPhone geofence), the 5.1 rule fires the lock command but the lock stays unlocked. The lock command event reaches the lock, but the lock does not react. When I test the rule by setting the "leave" state, the door locks every time. I have tried conditional actions & just plain (no conditions) action to lock the door. No dice. The door locks only when I push the command onthe Dashboard.

A similar rule unlocks the door (correctly) when I arrive. The "leave" rule is very simple. The "arrive" rule is slightly more complex as it turns on the front lights at night.

C-7 running 2.3.7.140

There are insufficient details to debug this:

1. Post a screenshot of your rule
  2. Post a screenshot of logs for the rule (events/triggers/actions).
  3. What kind of lock is this? What driver is it using?
2 Likes

…and what status is showing on the lock before you leave the zone - if the hub thinks it is already locked the default action is not to fire the event.

1 Like

I also have seen this. I took the lock command out of my rules and added them back. I think it might have fixed it but I haven't done much testing since as people are around the house more. I also have seen where the Zigbee Yale lock gets the command and does nothing with it. I just tested it and it seems to work now. I just removed the lock command, saved the rule, and then added it back. Hopefully this works for you also.

Thank you for the responses.

Lock Kwikset Z-Wave, purchased in 2020 / Q4. "Generic Z-Wave Lock" driver.

The "leave" rule.

Logs -- annotated -- rows:
15: Rule sends lock command
14: Lock sends battery %
13: I send lock command from Dashboard (because door was unlocked)
12: Door is locked

Can you post the logs for the Rule running (events/triggers/actions)? And not the Event Log for the device.

1 Like

Interesting. I did not explore this angle, from the app. I left the house at 08:30 yesterday (24 Dec 2023). At that stage, the rule had a condition -- Is any door unlocked? An act of desperation. Hoped the conditions would help.

Corresponding events from the lock. I locked the door through the dashboard at 08:34:39,

My first recommendation is to split the lock commands up. Issue a lock command to one lock, wait 5s then the next, and again for the last.

This is not an issue with my Alfred, but when I had a Schlage, if I did not give the zwave a breather after issuing a command to the lock, I had problems.

1 Like

Thanks, Steve. Have tweaked the logic. Will shake it out today.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip.

First test locked both doors I had unlocked manually before I drove away. Will let it stew until we declare success.

1 Like

Think we have a solution. Shake the Z-wave flag. Rest and Repeat. Have interleaved 5 second "random" intervals between the Z-wave lock commands.

2 Likes

Awesome. I am glad this worked for you.

When I had my Schlage, I ended up putting a RM wrapper around it that checks for the proper status update and then retries 30 seconds later if necessary, then send the status back to the calling RM. the Schlage was 95% with just the delay but I wanted 100%.

I still use the same wrapper for my Alfred lock but the repeat has never been called. But I have left it in place.

But the five second zwave delay is the big take away.

1 Like

Side benefit. I seemed to have improved the z-wave "network" (is that the correct term?). I pushed a few buttons on the hubitat console -- might have been to refresh the zwave. The protagonist of this mystery the "laundry garage lock" now sips on the battery like its bretheren.

1 Like