Generic zigbee lights intermittent problem with iris and hue motion sensors

Ordered the sengled bulbs and a couple ikea outlets. Bulbs should be here first so I will try them without the outlet repeaters and then with to see if there's a difference. Will let you know how it works. Thank you everyone. I obviously have a lot to learn.

1 Like

Just be aware that the hub is limited to 32 end-node devices, like the Sengled bulbs, motion detectors, leak detectors, and contact sensors. When always-on repeater devices are added to the network, this limit is mitigated as each repeater can typically handle ~6 additional end devices. Having the repeaters will greatly improve the health and reliability of your Zigbee mesh network.

2 Likes

Should be a while before I get to that number. But what would I need to do if I got to that point?

Ummmm....

Adding repeaters essentially removes the 32 Zigbee end device limit from your hub. Each repeater can handle ~6 additional end devices, and the repeaters do not count against the hub's 32 end-device limit, since they are not end-devices. That is why I would always install a few repeaters - for signal strength improvements, and to increase the maximum number of devices.

so 32 repeaters would mean I could have 192 end devices? no way that will ever happen

It was suggested to me to add repeaters near the Hub (but not too close) to improve my mesh. So I added both a Z-Wave and a Zigbee repeater in the same room as my hub, about 10’ away from the the hub. After I did that, my mesh network became very strong and stable.

With SmartThings, I didn’t need these repeaters. I think the z-wave radio in the Cβ€”5 Hubitat is weaker than the SmartThings radio. But the simple step of adding repeaters in the same room as my hub made everything good.

It may not be an intuitive thing to do, but it definitely worked for me.

Keep in mind that repeaters are essential for strong Z-Wave and Zigbee networks. Read the docs on how to create a good mesh network.

I’m glad I made the switch from SmartThings to Hubitat, because I like the local processing of my automations. Once you add repeaters and get the network mesh strong, I think you will be happy with Hubitat.

2 Likes

The repeaters don’t count against the 32 device limit, sooooo... you could have way more than 192 devices, as the Zigbee spec actually allows for thousands, IIRC.

2 Likes

The difference may not be immediately apparent. It can take days for a Zigbee mesh to fully stabilize on the best routes. A strong signal will also mean longer battery life for your sensors.

1 Like

That's pretty wild.

1 Like

Update: replaced the ge bulbs with the 4 Sengled bulbs. Added them, the hue motion sensor, and two iris v3 motion sensors back ( don't have the repeaters yet). Waited a couple day to let the mesh set up. Then added some simple automation where the motion sensors would trigger the lights. The hue sensors seems to be working fine. The iris sensors are having the exact same problems they did with the GE bulbs. Only triggering some bulbs, wrong bulbs, or not working at all. I have removed the automation using them and the iris sensors for now. Will try again once the repeaters get here. I'll add the closest to the hub first then work my way out and add the motion sensors last. Will wait 2 days before attempting the automation again.

1 Like

That sounds like a problem with the mesh signal to the bulbs. The motion sensors only show "active" or "inactive", they don't control anything that happens outside of that.

Hopefully the repeaters will improve the mesh connections. Bulbs work fine on just the time automation (ge bulbs did too). It only when I add in the motion detectors that the problems start. They are all battery powered. So the weak HE radio combined with battery sensors must indeed cause the mesh to be unstable. Hopefully the repeaters do the trick.

1 Like

So the IKEA smartplug repeaters still haven't shipped and it appears people are having major issues getting anything for months from IKEA. Found Wyze smart outletplugs https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wyze-Wi-Fi-Smart-Plug-2-Pack-WLPP1/310678611 and Commercial Electric Smart outletplugs https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Wi-Fi-Smart-Plug-No-Hub-Required-Works-with-All-Major-Voice-Control-Platforms-7HPLWA1/309051918 in stock at Home depot for about $10.

Does anyone know if they will work as repeaters for the zigbee mesh?

both of those are WiFi, not Zigbee, so they won't work, not as devices and not as repeaters.

3 Likes

As a very good alternative...

You can still get 10 Iris 3210-L2 outlets for $75 at IRIS Products - Test Equipment and Machinery International Inc

3 Likes

@drsdsmith

Here are a few other things that work well as zigbee repeaters with easy availability:

Samsung zigbee outlets:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-Outlet-GP-U999SJVLDAA-Smart/dp/B07F96JB63/

Innr zigbee smart plugs:

https://www.amazon.com/Zigbee-Philips-SmartThings-Google-Required/dp/B07SQGG8Z7

@ihardyadi's zigbee environmental sensor: - these are really phenomenal

3 Likes

Missed that. Thanks

thanks everyone .. These costs keep adding up. ugh.

1 Like

Just be careful and methodical. Most of us have a tech drawer of shame with many HA devices that were terrible. Money we spent, but might as well have set on fire.

2 Likes

Ken. That is my fear. I obviously am in over my head. And I'm a cheap bas****d at heart. Wink was so much easier. I'm going to try the Innr plugs since they seem to be one of the least expensive without buying large numbers at once.