Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer on/off duration

I accidentally bought the Honeywell z-wave dimmer switch instead of the standard switch on Amazon to control lights in a closet. These are fluorescent tube lights that I turn on/off via a z-wave contact sensor. While everything is working properly, because it's the dimmer switch and not the standard switch, it dims on/off over the course of a second rather than coming instantly on/off. Is there any way to adjust these switches to come on/off instantly? These are pretty much the same as the GE/Jasco version (they're all made by Jasco).

Since you bought it from Amazon you should return it and get the standard switch version.

1 Like

I would agree that the first step should be to see about returning it. Find some other location, that a dimmer makes sense and get another switch. There are community drivers by @JasonJoel that can change the physical buttons to just on and off but I don't think that is going to help. Even changing ramp settings isn't likely to mimic the relay in switches.

On SOME of the models/firmware revs you can put the Jasco/GE/Honeywell dimmers in "switch mode", which would probably do what you need.

Would need to know the exact model # and firmware rev you are on to tell what parameter to change in the basic z-wave tool, though.

It's this one:

Honeywell Z-Wave Plus Smart Light Dimmer Switch, In-Wall Paddle, Interchangeable White & Almond | Built-In Repeater & Range Extender | ZWave Hub Required - SmartThings, Wink, Alexa Compatible, 39351

You can't put that one in switch mode (unless there is a newer firmware rev that hasn't made the public documentation - like there is on Jasco/GE).

About the best you could do is set parameters 7, 8, 9, and 10 to 1 with the basic zwave tool. That is as fast as they will get - which may be good enough for your uses. That would make it go on/off about 3x faster than the default/stock settings.

Forgive my ignorance as I'm still finding my way around the Hubitat but when you say basic z wave tool, is that the device settings, z wave settings, or something else?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.