General electrical question about switched outlet

I have a switched outlet under our sink. Both plugs in the outlet are switched. A switch next to the sink turns the outlet on/off.

Is it a relatively simple to change one of the plugs in the outlet to unswitched? I want to keep one plug in the outlet switched for the garbage disposal, and make the other unswitched to power a touchless faucet we have. The wiring is relatively modern, put into place in 2005.

Generally a simple change in most cases, or ? Unfortunately I can't pull the plug and take pics at the moment as I'm dealing w/an injury that makes getting into and working under the sink a bad idea for the time-being.

1 Like

Greetings danabw. Keeping in mind I am NOT an electrician...
I believe you can take any standard plug and setup what your wanting. Look closely at the side of a new plug (before you wired or installed it). You will find a small brass connection between the two screws on the line or hot side. (This is the smaller of the two is the two and line/hot/power supply side (typically brass or black). The other larger side is the white/common/negative (typically silver)). This connection on the line side can be easily removed with a pair of pliers. That disconnects the connection between the two ports. Then they can be wired independently. One can be wired to a switch, the other wired "hot" all the time. That is not a hack, that's how they are designed from days gone by when houses would wire this way to turn on lamps or such with a light switch.

Should go without saying, but, PLEASE turn the power off to any electrical device before working with it.

1 Like

THANKS thebearmay. I see your professional answer after I typed up my ramblings.

1 Like

I figured Google would do a much better job explaining than I ever could. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Wait, I'm confused, I thought you were volunteering to come over and do it.

1 Like

The above still assumes you have an always-hot wire running to the outlet, right? Since both outlets here are switched, I could see there being only a (switched) line and neutral wire at the outlet. But I don't know what standard wiring for this is in new houses. In older-ish ones, you'd often have a switched top or bottom outlet (because who would want freaking overhead lights in their living room, I guess), with the other always on, and in that case you'd definitely have a way to do this.

Half asking to figure out what the norm is for people with houses built in this century, which maybe will be me some day... :rofl:

4 Likes

That's what I was kinda worried about...wish I could get into the box to see, but just getting down to look at the outlet under the sink somewhat re-aggravated my hip. SO annoying...

Understandable. Here’s another idea, pull the switch out by the sink and look at its wiring. Assuming it’s just a single gang switch check how many wires come into it. If a single wire with both black and white connected, your power is going to the outlet under sink. If multiple wires then likely power coming to the switch first.

3 Likes

I don't want to be negative but I'm guessing you will be out of luck trying to make the receptacle 1/2 unswitched. Unless whom ever wired the house brought a 3 wire in and passed the "always Hot" out to another light/receptacle you won't have the line you need in the receptacle box.

If it is easier on you body you might remove the plate of the switch, and see what is leaving the switch headed for under the sink. If only a black and white you are out of luck.

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat. My plan is to remove existing garbage disposal switch, and make the outlet under the sink always on. Then I will install a switch like this for my garbage disposal.
https://www.amazon.com/Disposal-Insinkerator-Disposals-Essential-Values/dp/B071VT41PF
Not as clean as the existing hardwired switch, but will allow the voiceIQ module I want for my faucet.
Another option after making the outlet below the sink always on would be to install a z-wave outlet (where one is z-wave controlled) and then to mount a Zen34 in the location of previously hard wired switch.

1 Like

Hey - I was hoping you were well on the mend. Hope it gets better soon!

3 Likes

I just the leave the original switch "on", and then installed a cheaper version of the air switch that you linked to. Has worked perfecty for about 3 years now. Here's the switch that I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G2X5WLX/

1 Like

Other thoughts:

1. You could probably replace the existing switch with a Receptacle.

2. I don't know if I would really recommend this but..... you could put a Z-W or ZB switching module under the sink and a matching communication type switch in the current switch location. Hopefully associate them together.

My hesitation on option (2) is the absolute necessity (in my mind) that shutting off the garbage disposal can have no delay.

1 Like

I just have to actually let it get better... :wink: It is evidently very sensitive to bending/twisting which I had to do to see the area under the sink. It's really hard for me to be so inactive.

This all started because years ago we mounted our airswitch in a spot that turned out to be a dumb/clumsy location. Just a reminder that one should think twice before drilling holes through granite. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I would never use anything but a directly-connect switch on a garbage disposal. [eek!] Not interested in adding potential fault options.

1 Like