Gen 2 spotted on FCC?

Looks like internal radios and antennas. Appears to still be based on an Android STB platform.

8 Likes

It squares off against the death ray.

Sorry but I must say the heat dissipator of the CPU is big, I think it has a bigger processor......maybe not.

Nice z wave interchangeable module. Easy for international market.

No holes to attach it to the wall like c-4 model.

1 Like

Wall mounting is the plan for me eventually too.
Does the current processor look a bit smaller? Less heat dissipated?
I don't know where any tear downs are.

I don't know if they come out and say it's beefier I would get it eventually.
I know I got in on the ground floor, even though it was just this summer for me...
It's an investment in the platform... Hopefully...

Tear downs are posted in the FCC docs here

I believe is different processor but maybe not, maybe they will use the same firmware/cpu but the new board doesn't have GPU/not used extra ports and wifi. If same CPU maybe they found the heat was too much for the small dissipator of the c-4. It has big separated antennas compared to the small single antenna with diplexer of the Nortek stick.

Yea I saw those.
I wasn't sure what the current one looks like on the inside.

1 Like

This is the current c-4, the heat dissipator is like the big of the s905 cpu

C-5 board

Actually I liked more the back PCB than the green...Rohs?

With z-wave and zigbee onboard, how will a person restore a backup which includes their device networks?
Currently, I understand (I've not done it) that you can restore a backup to a new hub and move the USB stick which has it's own database of z-wave/zigbee device associations; otherwise you have to exclude and re-include/rejoin everything, re-associate rule/app mappings, etc.

Yea the dissapator could be pasted to many chips so it's hard to really know what's under there.

I hope they have a way, if not, same process as ST...

True, maybe the ram is there

And that's one of the reasons we moved to HE. The failed promise of a migration app for hub upgrades/replacements. Hopefully HE has figured out how to include the network information into the backups for hub to hub migration/restore.

I know, that's the reason I got 3 hubs

Based on the FCCid.io reports on the two Android Set Top boxes from the same manufacturer, I'd guess that it's an Amlogic S905X.

Look at these tear-down photos and you'll see the same heatsink, which in another photo is revealed to be covering two RAM chips and the S905X.

The only difference between the S905X and the S905W is that the W variant only supports video decoding up to 4K resolution @ 30fps while the X supports 4K @ 60fps. That wouldn't affect the Hubitat hub of course. Otherwise they are both Quad-core Cortex-A53 SoCs running at up to 1500MHz.

There are newer processors in that line out from Amlogic last year, the S905X2 and S905Y2, both of which allegedly run at up to 2000MHz.

Continuing with my mostly unfounded prognostications, based on what Hubitat staff have said about processor utilization, speed is not an issue, but in manufacturing a more specific use-focused PCB, I'd imagine that it's better optimized for it's purpose.

3 Likes

I notice that the Lutron Clear Connect radio is absent. It's roughly the same footprint as the Zigbee or ZWave radio.

Given Staples Connect and Wink has the radio, one could extrapolate that Lutron will license it.

20%20PM