GE Switches need replacing?

I seem to be having more issues/logging with a few GE switches (non-plus) showing on/off, different dim levels... when none of this is actually happening nor is there any input from us or HE.

All the below is from the same GE switch
With this light, I have nothing that is setting this to 50%, we only use 30% in my automations.

Here is another screenshot, I have been sitting here this whole time and the light has not once turned off or changed values.

With this one, the light did turn off at 7:11, don't know why and I turned it back on via Echo

Why so many Physical entries when we are not using the switches at all, is this due to non-plus?
Anyone else seeing weirdness or are some of my non-pjus switches dying a slow death?
Yes I do use the Z-Wave polling app if that matters but it does not seem to be tied to this

Thanks in advance
Rick

It isn't a GE specific thing, non-plus devices simply don't work as well on Hubitat as they did on SmartThings. I'm pretty sure any Hubitat owner that had both will agree with that...

That said, the advantages of getting rid of the non-plus devices are so great I would always recommend that as the fix, as opposed to trying to make them work the way you need on Hubtat.

1 Like

They work fine as long as you're not trying to use physical operation of them in automations. That's not worth the effort imo.

@bravenel

What do you mean by physical operation in automation?

And why does this one light turn off all by it's lonesome....
Rick

Well, I wouldn't go that far. lol. I guess we'll agree to disagree on that. To your point, though, because zwave non-plus devices do not proactively report status back to the hub, when one physically turns the device on/off at the switch the status may not update on the hub in a timely fashion (or at all). This can definitely cause issues with automations.

But anyway, morale of the story is upgrade your non-plus devices.

1 Like

Turn on debug logging and look in the system logs after it happens, not the device events. It will show who it thinks changed the setting - someone locally at the switch or an app on the hub...

Note, debug logging only stays turned on for ~30 minutes on most devices. So if you can't make it happen on-demand, you may have to turn it on multiple times.

All that said, the system is likely logging the state change regardless, so you may be able to see the event in the system log without turning on debug logging at all.

If it thinks it is happening on the switch side, and you are sure no one is changing anything (no zwave associations directly form another device, etc) on the physical devices, then you may have a faulty switch(es).

I am 110% certain that the physical switches are not used in ANY of these cases, was sitting here the whole time and it's just me and my wife...

I'll try debugging and then consider replacing

Rick

I ran across another non-plus device that is acting the same way. No way all my non-plus devices are going out at the same time.

Clearly there is something going on, 10 log entries all in 2 seconds

Nothing so far in the debug logs, i'll keep an eye out

Rick

See this... It is a longstanding, old issue, mitigated to a certain extent by the subsequent release of the Polling app. Mitigated, not solved/fixed 100%...

Let me state this up front: I am not a groovy programmer, but have mod'ed others' code if the changes were simple. [Read: I'm dangerous!!] So take the following for what it is worth...

As mentioned I have mitigated my issues, not solved them 100% for these older switches I have. I also believe part of the issue is driver related, but cannot tell you 100% why/what/when etc. All I am saying is in my case it also lessened the frequency of the ghost events. Yes, I'm aware this is not "scientific", but sometimes gut feeling is all we have to go on.

I had 2 very problematic GE dimmers using the default "Generic Z-Wave Dimmer" driver. Changed the driver to a user one called "Z-Wave Dimmer Switch" by SmartThings. It didn't fix my issue 100%; went to maybe x1 ghost event / week instead of x1 per day. Just saying. Your mileage may vary. Some other dimmers are still using the default built-in driver and with Poller are fine. Go figure!

J

@GatVlieg

Thanks for the link. In my case, lights never come on via the ghost, 1 light only ever turns off via the ghost, so all this log activity is just that, log activity since the lights are not strobing as the logs indicate

Rick

I am experiencing this same issue. I have found it only happens when i am running the poller app.

Is there a easy way to replace a switch without having to go through all of my automations?

Nope. Unfortunately not.

Agh... Thanks Jason.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.