GE switch double tap

Moving over from SmartThings and I have several older GE smart switches (ZW4005). I had double tap working in smarttthings and have majority of automations running off of them. I can’t seem to get them to report the double tap even after trying several different drivers. Nothing shows up in logs.

Should I upgrade to a newer version? If so what are the best ones that will give me simple On/Off and double tap. No dimming needed.

Thanks!

I have a houseful of, I believe, 46202.s. They work great. @JasonJoel is the expert and I use his drivers. (I also have several of the dimmers and motion switches.) For the toggle switch, with his drivers you can emulate six buttons: three presses up and three presses down. I've kind of standardized on three presses up, "button 5", to disable my various motion sensors. I found that it's easy (for someone) to double tap inadvertently.

I think @JasonJoel should know the answer to your question. The driver that I use says it's for 4xxxx series, but I don't know the intricacies. Below is a link to his driver. Hopefully he comes along to give you a hand.

Welcome aboard.

1 Like

FWIW
When I migrated to HE from ST a year ago I committed to upgrading all my GE switches to 500+ series.
In hindsight this turned out to be a must. I didn't realize that ST handeled older GE products internally by polling them as they don't report changes. Also, I found that double tap didn't work anymore on the 300 series but the 500+ series reporting and tap's are supported natively.

2 Likes

Thanks I ended up purchasing the 500+ series as that seemed to be the most straight forward and have been happy with them.

One question I notice now when I doubleclick up it also turns on the physical switch as well. Is there anyway or setting to prevent this?

Mine all work fine but the double tap is quite quick. If I tap twice in about .5 sec it becomes Light On

Does the built in Hubitat Driver support double tap? I notice that if you select the built in driver labeled: "GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Switch" as shown here:
Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 10-20-31 Patio Main Lights

Then the driver shows a button for doubleTap in the commands list:

So this certainly implies that this built in driver supports double tap for this switch. (This one is a GE ZW4005)... but when I double tap physically on the switch... nothing happens.

Is there something that has to be done to enable scene control / double tap on the switch itself? I know for example on the Zooz switches you have to enable "Scene Control" before the switch will send doubleTap events. How does that work with the GE switches?

Thanks,
-Jeremy

I tried installing @JasonJoel 's driver and now when I double tap the switch I still see nothing in device details screen or the events log. However when I look at the system logs I see this:

(This is from double tapping up and then double tapping down):

So it looks like double tap UP sent BasicSet value 255, and double tap DOWN sent BasicSet value 0.

How do I get this to generate an actual event that I can write triggers against?

Thanks,
-Jeremy

Which specific driver, and which specific GE switch/dimmer model?

Also, is it a zwave plus device or not? I know my drivers don't work right on the older GE non-plus devices.

1 Like

See my the post immediately above:

The ZW4005 should be Zwave plus, it's a fairly new switch.

I used the GE Enbrighten switch driver found here:

Believe it or not, but there are two GE/Jasco products with that identifier, only one of which is z-wave+.

Z-Wave: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1196
Z-Wave Plus: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1438

Interesting. I'm pretty sure this said it was there plus version when I bought it, but I don't know how to confirm for sure?

Can you post the device data from the Device page? The in-clusters will distinguish the plus from the non-plus.

Also, I don't know if @JasonJoel's drivers work with the plus version of the ZW4005, or only with more recent z-wave plus switches from Jasco/GE. But he would know for sure.

The Enbrighten one may not be the right driver for that model. It is designed for the newst models, which use Central Scene based reporting.

Did you try the one for pre-Enbrighten? If yours is a zwave plus model, it is likely that the driver below may work.

This version definitely uses BasicSet for doubletap indications, which lines up with your log entries.

Thanks. This did it. I thought all of the ZW4xxx models were Enbrighten, but I guess not.

1 Like

They aren't - but don't beat yourself up... Jasco/GE made the naming about as dopey and incomprehensible as they could.

Why couldn't they stick with either the ZWXXX or the 17XXX system? It is so confusing to look up stuff when they use one number one place, and the other in another.

@JasonJoel When I double click the switch it works fine but it also triggers the physical switch no matter how quick I go. IS there anyway to prevents or would a webcore rule work to undo the physical switch change.

Example- On my garage lights I use double click down to trigger the door to close. At night when I come come when I close the door it turns off the lights which I would like to leave on.

I don't use webcore, so I can't answer that part.

1.. What specific device is it?
2. Which of my drivers are you using? If using the wrong one for the device, weird things can happen, which is why I ask.
3. Do you happen to have a log showing what it is doing when you double tap?

1 Like

It’s a new paddle switch from enbrighten

I’m using the GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Switch driver

The double tap function is working perfect it’s just the physical button triggers while completely the double tap both lights turn on

Thanks for all help and work you’ve done

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.