Ge jasco fan controllers become non responsive a day after 'reset'

I have two GE Jasco fan controller switches. Both are using the GE Samrt Fan control driver.

The weird thing is, that they just 'freeze' after roughly a day of working.

I say 'a day or so' because, when this happens, I air gap the switch and they seem to work again.

Only to return to the same thing in a day or so.

1 Like

Can you post your z-wave details page in it's entirety?

Are they newer ones? If so are they paired with S2 security?

I've seen the newer GE fan controllers lock up often if paired with S2 security. They do not seem to lock up ever when paired without security.

Just my experience.

EDIT: I should expand and say that this was my experience when they were first released. If there's been an updated firmware since then, and I think there might have been, I did not go back and retry S2 after that. I don't really want my regular switches paired with S2 anyway.

1 Like

From the zwave details it doesn't indicate S2.

Is / does GE make a S2 fan switch?

I wouldn't have said that I had them, and originally paired them S2, if they didn't....

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3928?selectedFrequencyId=2

EDIT: Besides that your screenshot above shows you have a Fan device paired with S2 security. Are you messing with me??? :wink:

If that is the device that keeps locking up/malfunctioning, then unpair it and re-pair it with no security.

4 Likes

No. I'm not messing. I'm just an idiot who can't read / follow a row in a spreadsheet.

2 Likes

I was just teasing. :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, though, try re-pairing it with no security. That fixed it right up for me.

Side note, it looks like there is a beta/updated firmware for the device too if you really want S2, and want to tinker. I have not tried this, and I have no intentions of trying it, as I'm fine with mine being paired with no security. Mine is running the original 5.50 firmware, I just checked.

Do you have to do a full unpair ('remove device') and re-pair, or is there some method to leave the device in place and just 'pair again' to change the security level?

How can you update the firmware on GE switches? I didn't think they did OTA updates to firmware.

GE/Jasco posts their firmware on GitHub now. That said they rarely, and sometimes never, update the firmware on most devices.

1 Like

They didn't until about a year ago when a prominent Youtuber Linus Tech Tips called them out for it. You can search this forum for the links (probably in the lounge section) that were posted while this was happening.

1 Like

Just watched the video after hunting around his youtube channel.
Didn't hold any punches. HA!

Ok. Downloaded the Beta firmware release 0.50 or something.

Battled the OTA update (multiple shutdowns of the hub latter).... which btw, the air gap trick on the switch and the shutdown of the hub & wait 10 minutes trick seemed to speed the firmware update immensely.

Cross my fingers it helps.

It did 'solve' an issue I had in which the led wouldn't turn on or off no matter what I selected (on when off / off when on, etc.) .

I can now get the blue led to come on when off and off when on. Yeah!

However, it's actually the light operates OPPOSITE of what I select.Boo!

So weird.

Maybe with the newer firmware, the GE Smart Fan Control doesn't play nice? Forgive my ignorance, but the firmware was also supposed to add some functionality to the device as well. How do you unlock that?

Would I have to develop something myself? Yikes!

Ty I make those paremeter changes use the z-wave tool to program the switch

1 Like

The driver would have to be updated (not likely to happen with the in-box driver) or a new driver made.

You can have ad hoc access to the params by temporarily using a different driver like the Basic Z-Wave Tool driver, and then manually typing in the parameter and values you want to adjust.

Since they didn't document the new parameters, not sure what values you should put in there though. Might want to look at other new GE/Jasco devices and see if they have the same param 3, and what the valid settings are.

Edit: Here you go. Was able to quickly find it in the zwave js docs.