GE / Jasco Fan Controller LED

So the version of the GE/Jascon Fan Controller (using the GE Smart Fan Control driver) that I have, for what ever reason, has a f'd up blue light that ignores the NEVER setting for it. On SmartThings there was an app that I installed to monitor this switch and it would toggle the light off whenever it's state changed.

Is there something similar to this for Hubitat or is there a different driver that I could select that would handle this?

1 Like

Use the basic Zwave tool to set this particular parameter. The parameters should be listed in the manual for this device.

1 Like

The paramter is exposed through the driver and I can change it to Turn LED On with Off or Turn LED On with On, it's just the NEVER value that doesn't work. This appears to be a quirk of this device that the NEVER option is ignored. SmartThings had the same issue with this device. From other comments it appears that it's a firmware issue and that the never option doesn't work.

This was the app used (google search: github sticks18 "Zwave Switch Indicator Light Manager") with SmartThings and I know Hubitat uses Groovy as it's language too but I'm assuming that I can't copypasta this into Hubitat and expect it to work.

You can try to use the Smartthings app. If you know how (and I don't exactly) you can port it over. There is a thread about how to do this porting if you search the forum.

But I would try the parameter tool and see if it does something different than the driver.

I ran into this with the Jasco Z-Wave Plus fan controller. One of my LEDs would not turn on when the fan was off, unlike all the rest of my fans. When I researched this I found this in the SmartThings forum:

To change the status light just do this quickly
UP UP UP DOWN (do it really fast)

I had the status indicator setting in the device handler before but it never worked so I took it out

This seems to only alternate between LED on when off and LED on when on? No way to have the LED never on (except when changing speeds)? It is really annoying that they don’t support parameter #3 like the rest of the Jasco products to adjust this…

I just did the manual setting so all my fans look the same (OCD)

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Yep I've done the same thing and have it set it to ON/ON (LED is ON when FAN is ON) because we aren't using it right now in the winter. However the other night my wife turned it on and the first thing out of her mouth of was "What the #@$!@$#@#$ is that bright blue light from". HAH!

Thankfully I remembered the UP UP UP DOWN command and flipped to LED is OFF when FAN is ON. Constantly having to switch it back and forth is annoying.

So I imported the Zwave Switch LED Manager app and made a few changes to it for Hubitat. I installed it and configured it for my fan switch and it does fire for event subscriptions of On and Off but it errors out with the following:

error java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command 'indicatorWhenOn' is not supported by device. on line 37 (switchOffHandler)

So it appears the GE Smart Fan Control driver doesn't have support for that. I looked for the driver source code but couldn't find it, is it not available?

I just want to +1 this topic because I am also interested in using the LED on my Jasco/GE Fan switch for something other than letting me know that the Fan is on or off which I can plainly see by looking up.

I was actually hopeful that I'd be able to use it as an indicator for other conditions within HE.

The inovelli switches are great for seperate notifications. I use it n of them to display my alarm status as an example.

I also want to use the LED to monitor the state of an alarm (our morning alarm clock), but I'm already heavily invested in Caseta with the only other switches being the Jacco/GE (Caseta fan switches hasn't been released yet).

Which fan switches are you referring to? I have several Caseta fan switches that I bought in 2019. Not sure where you live but I purchased them locally at Home Depot but Amazon sells them too:
https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Wireless-Single-Pole-PD-FSQN-WH-Assistant/dp/B07N1GXM38

Hi, I meant at the time when I bought my GE Fan switches, the Caseta ones weren't available. It was a couple of years ago.

Sorry, I just realised my mistake. I blame auto-correct on my phone.

I wanted to say <<hadn't been released yet>>, vice <<hasn't been released yet>>.

Setting the indicator behavior at the switch worked! Thanks!

I wanted the indicator on when the fan is on, and that did it. (You can't hear our fan when it's on low, plus all our switches use indicator-on to indicate the switch is on.)

GE/Jasco devices are glitchy and have limited functionality. I only use them when there isn't a better alternative. I'm hoping inovelli comes out with more switches, including a fan switch!

Lol. My 120+ GE dimmers and switches would definitely disagree with that statement.

3 Likes

Aloha! Bumping this LED question to the top.

I looked for the "Zwave Switch LED Manager app", but couldn't find it anywhere. I also tried the "Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool", but couldn't figure out how to replace the fan switch's driver. I guess I'll go back to taping over the LED unless anyone has made additional progress on this or could point me in the right direction...? :slight_smile:

To change the driver go to Device Type on the device page

1 Like