GE enbrighten Z-Wave Dimmer

Don't know as I only have GE 46203 (paddle style). All of mine work just fine when dimming LED bulbs.

Are you 100% sure the LED bulbs you tried are actually dimmable?

To add another wrinkle to things, GE just came out with a new model (47338) that has who knows what firmware on it. I don't have any of the completely new model, so I can't comment on how they work.

I use these dimmers in my bathrooms with these dimmable LED globe bulbs. They work OK but setting a level under 10% is hit or miss.

I've found that the minimum % that works is bulb dependent, not really switch dependent.

On the exact same dimmers I have some brand bulbs that will dim to 1% OK, and will turn on at 1%. I have other bulbs that will dim to 1% OK, but will not turn on <7%.

Etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I should have clarified. The dimmers work with dimmable LED bulbs, but better quality bulbs result in better quality dimming. :smiley:

1 Like

@bjcowles @JasonJoel
Thanks for your feedback. I was using Sylvania 100w dimmable LED bulbs that did not dim. I will try with another well known/quality brand for this purpose. Other than the dimming issue the driver works fine.

1 Like

Also, not sure what driver you are using, but make sure and try the in-box one any time you are troubleshooting to eliminate any lesser coded driver issues.

Also remember to hit the CONFIGURE button any time you change drivers in Hubitat (if you weren't already).

I am using the GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Driver. However i had the same problem with these bulbs regardless of the driver I was using. ( I had also tried the generic dimmer and the GE Enbrighten Z-Wave drivers) I also did remember to hit CONFIGURE with each change.

Ok, didn't hurt to ask.

I would definitely try a different bulb then.

OK. I stand corrected.

I tested this tonight, and I saw the same thing - but just on 1 of 3 Enbrighten/new model dimmers I have hooked up right now. The other two worked as expected. For the 1 that was not, the Hub said it was dimming/raising (level % changed), but the bulb brightness was definitely not changing.

Sorry I said I was not seeing this, but I genuinely thought I was not!! I just dimmed it a few days/maybe a week ago, and it worked fine, so clearly this is a new bug/behavior.

I'll look at it and see what I can figure out.

EDIT: OK, not sure what was going on. I went ahead and double checked my preferences, and saved them. Now it is working correctly for me again. No changes made in the driver, no switching drivers, no hitting configure. Just re-saving the preferences fixed it for me.

I would bet this is a DEVICE FIRMWARE BUG, not a hub issue. I say that, because when dimming the device it WAS sending level% reports back to the hub like it was dimming. But it physically was not.

It is almost like it got stuck in "switch" mode... But that doesn't make sense either as you can still dim it in switch mode (it just turns on @ 99% and off without dimming).

:man_shrugging:

Thanks for the followup.
I switched to incandescent bulbs and the switch is dimming as expected. However I would prefer to use LEDs.

I will switch out the bulbs again and try once more.

Please explain.

If you put the dimmer in "switch mode" and hold the paddle/toggle down or send it a setLevel command from the hub it will still try to dim. Putting it in "switch mode" only changes the on/off behavior - basically makes it not fade on/off and makes default ON=99%.

ahhhhh. thanks

My icon just shows an hour glass and the dimmer level once you tap it. But still functions when you tap and set dimmer slider. Certainly an annoyance.

On a side note, does anyone have any info on what the new parameters do on the device page? Some are self explanatory, but there are fields that ask for a number and its pretty ambiguous.

On which driver? There are 3 I know of - the in-box and 2 user ones.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.