Gate opener - 24VDC dry contact?

My wife and I are getting quotes on a driveway gate. I asked the installer, and the gate is triggered with 24VDC (brand is lift master or viking). He seemed to think a 24VDC dry contact relay would work, but I only know of VAC ones.

Does anyone here have a gate they automate, and how do you do it? The gate is not going to be cheap, so I want it fully integrated or it won't be worth it to us (not interested in pushing a button to open the gate (how 1980 :laughing:) Thanks.

I use a app i developed with a guy in the US in my ST days (i use it for a garage he had it for gate) It has delays, warnings options, can use one or two sensors (2nd to give positive open), and sends an alert if its not in the expected position after a period of time.
All you need as an dry contact realy (eg fibro) wired up to where the open and close buttons would be (also supports singe realys).

Just need the app and the garage driver (never ported the gate but they were identical apart from icons
1 Like

Thanks for the idea, however for what we are spending I want to find try and find an "out-of-the-box" solution before going down the DYI road. I noticed lift master has MyQ for gates that seems intriguing.

OK, dose the control system not have an out of the box option wireless option?

They have their own app, but I want it to integrate with HE as much as possible. We use presence so when the Geo-fence or presence sensor is detected the gate should open automatically, driveway lights come on (lux dependent) , garage opens....... I'm not extremely interested in push a fob button, or having to open a separate app.

I was hoping someone else had one working, and could say get brand XYZ they work great with HE, so far that's not happened. :wink:

For my yale alarm, I found an app for the phone where I could intercept and analyse the app output to the web, then a mimiced its commands in HE, but that was a lot of trial and error

1 Like

I am in Oz, but I use one of these in my gate controller box, powered by 24v from the box and just
switches the regular push button contacts inside the box if that is what you will be using...

"ZConnect Garage Door Opener"

Not sure if you ever solved this, but for what it's worth: I recently was able to integrate an automatic gate. My gate opener used an Apollo 636 control board. The control board had an input where if you connect the input with board ground, it would actuate the gate. The gate open/close status can be determined through the use of reed limit switches (one switch for fully open, one for fully closed). I used a Fibaro Smart Implant to read the value of the limit switches as inputs and used one of the outputs as a momentary relay. Finally, I wrote an app + driver to interpret the Fibaro Smart Implant inputs and outputs and control a virtual garage door device.

If you're still looking you could use a VCRX with contact closure. The Lutron forums have lots of ideas.

i have a mighty mule gate opener from tractor supply or elsewhere it is 12 v. i have a yellow top deep cell battery on it and a mimolite switch to use with automations.. "alexa close the dog gate"

@mark.cockcroft ... do you have your custom app running on a HE C-7? I have a Liftmaster LM400 but it does not have full open/close sensors. Curious what you have for your gate?

i just mounted an ecolink door sensor on the gate inside a zip lock bag to keep it water proof.. i also put a stronger magnet on the gate iteself as well I bought this

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Magnets-Window-Sensor-DWZWAVE2-5-ECO/dp/B01N5HB4U5/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ecolink+door+sensor&qid=1599013016&sr=8-3

as for automation i only used rule machine.. in smarttings.. ie close at night etc.
i also added a rule to turn the switch off when it turned on to treat it as a relay.

and i setup an outdoor spot light to go on for 3 minutes when it opened or closed so i know it worked

i tried a lot of different door sensors etc. many dont work on a metal gate.

1 Like

@kahn-hubitat ... am I correct in you did not find a weatherproof sensor which is why you chose the Ecolink? Also, since you only are using 1 sensor, do you have a way of detecting when the gate is fully open?

I dont have a c7
What app.is the question about

I use a app i developed with a guy in the US in my ST days

I was referring to a previous post of yours where you said you wrote a custom app...

Its should work fine on a c7, you can use one or two sensors with it

Would you mind posting a photo of your install? I have a similar application and would like to see how you mounted the Ecolink and the magnet. Thanks!

If you are asking me... nor going to be home till.Jan 18

Curious what/how those were labeled on the board. Thanks in advance.

"Nice Apollo" seems to be a cut above the units available at the big box/farm supply places.