Garden Guard

I have had rabbits hopping into my garden pots and eating my plants. Instead of putting up fencing, I thought I would try this -

So I added a motion sensor to detect the rabbit when it gets I to the pots, and created a rule to turn the hose timer on for a short amount of time. I use a Orbit timer (the Iris model) and it has a lengthy delay before turning on. I set the delay to turn off at 25 seconds, so water only flows for about 8-10 seconds. I use the small irrigation stakes with 360 degree spray heads. These things make a lot of hissing and spitting when they first come on, so my hopes are that they will scare the rabbit away.

I just wanted to share another use for HA and Hubitat!

Shouldn’t take long to determine if it works. Also have Alexa announcing when there is a bunny in the garden.

4 Likes

Lol this just makes me smile. Let us know how it goes...

What's with bunnies this year. I have a bunch of them in my backyard too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So... Back to the drawing board.

I was watching the approaching imminent threat to the garden from the kitchen window. He hopped right up into the pots, actually bounding across multiples, until settling into the area he has been attacking. The motion sensor picked him up, and shortly I heard the water turn on, all while he is feasting on my cherry tomato plant, instead of the cantaloupe plant that he has so graciously kept pruned back. The spurting of the water and noise had ZERO effect on him, in fact, I think he was appreciative for a cool beverage during his meal.

So the takeaways are - the motion sensor is placed well and is working, water does not seem to phase the devastation spree, and this bunny is tougher than I thought.

Here comes plan #2:
I have modified a zigbee inline switch, they are on Amazon and I have seen a few posts about them on this site. I cut the internal traces to separate the line voltage from the relay terminals, and this allows for switching whatever I want on the relay secondary, but the unit is still powered by 120V (and is a repeater to boot!). I remembered that we have a Halloween decoration that my kids love, because it scares everyone that comes to the door. It is a unit that ties into the bushes and senses sound, and when it does, it lights up, makes loud growling noises, and shakes. This thing has a demo mode with a SPST momentary button. I am going to use the modified output side of the zigbee switch to trigger the demo mode, hopefully terrifying Mr. Bunny into leaving the garden alone.

I am starting to feel like the groundskeeper in Caddy Shack.... Oh were to find fireworks now...lol.

4 Likes

Here is the “Garden Guardian”... all I have to do now is run a 2 conductor wire to the garden from the basement and connect it all, rule machine will take care of the rest.

2 Likes

Let me know how that one works as I have two of those for Halloween and never even thought of connecting them to my home automation...

There are usually 2 terminals on the bottom that connect to a momentary pushbutton, and a selector switch that says demo or try me. Any dry relay contact will activate it when closed. Just make sure whatever you connect it to doesn’t have power coming out of the unit or relay, that could be dangerous! When in that mode, the unit only makes noise and shakes while the terminals are connected, so a rule to run for 5 seconds prevents the batteries from running down too fast and from being too obnoxious.

So far, so good. I do get some false alarms from leaves of plants in the wind, but the rabbit steers clear of the garden now!

1 Like

Wonder if these would be startling enough to get the deer we have wandering through and destroying our plants. I think rabbits would be preferable at this point... But good to know the general concept works. Might have to add them for a more controlled Halloween this year at least.

I would think they might startle a deer. I was thinking of using this fir Halloween also, as the "sound" sensor in these don't work all that well, but a motion sensor would be fun!

Yeah... I have two... one seemed TOO sensitive and the other barely triggers for anything. But one time I put them too close together and they kept each other growling for about 30min before I realized and moved them apart. Doh.

I might try for the deer unfortunately I do not have outlets close enough to their most common paths into our yard. Oh well, something to try out at some point. Thanks for providing the idea and the basic info though!

Deer are way easier to scare away than rabbits. I have a motion activated sprinkler to keep the deer from eating my hostas. It's one of the original Contech Scarecrow sprinklers. It always scares away the deer, but rabbits, squirrels and skunks aren't afraid of it. So you could use something like that to scare away deer. The only problem I have with it is that when the sun flickers thru the tree leaves, it sets off the sprinkler, over and over. So I put an electric water valve in line with it, and that is controlled by Hubitat. It's on almost all the time, but if the sun starts triggering it off, I can push one of the buttons on a 4-button remote and make it turn off the water for various amounts of time. That way the water will always get turned back on to protect the hostas.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.