Garbage disposal - lutron

This may be more of look question - but those who are using strictly Lutron Caseta what are you using for things like "Garbage Disposal" switches? Are you using regular Decora switches or the PD-5ANS-WH or are you sill using the dimmers?

What about hall closets that just have a light and you really don't need/want a dimmer?

Curious about those kinds of choices. Any other things you've ran across that are common?

You cannot use a dimmer for a disposal as that will ruin the motor. Lutron makes an on off switch that could work but obviously be careful automating a device like this.

But rule of thumb is to check the load to see if it can handle a dimmer. Some light bulbs are not dimmable and you may need to change the bulbs. Then depending on the wattage you may get flicker and Lutron makes a MLC, minimum load capacitor, that can fix it. Neighbor had this happen with an on off Caseta switch and LED lights and the MLC fixed it.

I would be very, VERY hesitant of automating a garbage disposal. That is that last thing you want turning on unexpectedly. This ranks right up there with automating a fireplace. Too much automation can be a bad thing.

5 Likes

I'm not necessarily wanting to automate it but more about the look of it all - I will probably just put a decora switch on it. Was more curious what folks were doing with different parts of their houses. Closets, garage lights, garbage disposals. In some cases just on/off is all you need - in that case I guess the PD-5ANS-WH is the way to go no?

I wouldn't use a smart switch at all. Have you never had your lights turn on unexpectedly? We're not talking about some annoyance or waking you up in the night. We're talking about chopping off your hand here. Use a regular switch man. WAAAYYY too much risk in using a smart switch. Even if it's not paired with anything.

2 Likes

I use the PD-5ANS-WH for all of my non-dimming locations.

I use lutron dimmers or the switch for all switches (even things like garbage disposals) for look/feel consistency; however, I do not automate those types of devices.

cheers,
John

1 Like

Ok good deal - that is what I was thinking/looking for.

If you're worried about things matching, go with one of those pneumatic countertop buttons. Then it won't stand out as an unmatching switch and it won't have the potential to tear your hand off.

1 Like

I'm using several of these now. Price is right and for me z-wave if proving more reliable than zigbee.

Lutron does not have any smart switches or electronic switches that will control a garbage disposal. The PD-5ANS-WH is only rated for 3A. You'll need a mechanical switch. Claro is Lutron's Decora style switch.

1 Like

I would just wire up a magnetic contactor in a box under the sink and have your switch turn that on. Then you don’t have to worry about the amp rating of the smart switch

I have to agree with @Ryan780 and @bill.d - NEVER install a smart switch on a garbage disposal. The safety risks are just too high, IMHO. A random light turning on unexpectedly is one thing. A hand/finger grinding/chewing/chopping mechanism is a whole different story.

Use a simple mechanical switch.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Claro-15-Amp-Single-Pole-Paddle-Switch-White-CA-1PS-WH/203737001

2 Likes

I agree with configuring it for OFF only, NOT ON. Could be handy.

And yes, personally just wouldn’t do this. You can automate too much if you’re able-bodied. But if you’re in a wheel chair and have small kids around, being able to turn the switch on without having a dangerously exposed switch too low where kids could reach it, then I can see how also turning ON by remote makes sense.

Having said that, many smart switches default to ON after a power outage and return, so keep that safety concern in mind.

1 Like

I see a horror movie plot unfolding...
Death hub! The hub that eats people!

2 Likes