Garage Door - SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor v5

Good you got it working.

At some point prior to using my V5 sensor, I put it onto the ST hub and it updated the device's firmware. I had three axis on at one point, but it is now disabled. Try disabling three axis, perhaps it will continue to function.

well the three axis had worked prior when I was flipping between "use as garage door" and "three axis", but the value of open/close still doesn't change in the MyQ garage door device.

Changed back to garage door, saved, configured. But open/close still doesn't change.

Ugh, this is frustrating.

ok, it does not change in there, but does it change in the MultiSensor Device page? Just in case it has nothing to do with the sensor it self.

2 Likes

Did you ever get this resolved?

Unfortunately no, I got busy with other stuff and never got back around to messing with this again haha.. eventually I'll get back to trying!

Currently I have two standard door sensors on my garage door but was looking to replace these with just a single ST multipurpose sensor. I now have one of them and can get it working but it seems slow to update, especially the acceleration attribute. It seems to take quite a few seconds after movement has stopped before it returns to inactive. I need this to be much more instant than it currently is for my use case. I don't suppose there is a way of increasing the response times is there?

Finally got this working, but had to use the HubConnect app. So connected my ST hub as a remote hub to my Hubitat, paired the ST sensor with ST hub, and then that would push if it's open/close to Hubitat.

Then set up normal notification in hubitat.

Having the same problem. I have 2 multisensor v5 in garage door mode and they do not update when the garage is open/closed. The acceleration and temperature update just fine, so I'm pretty sure its not a mesh issue.

Having just read this thread about Garage Door Mode I was JUST about to pull one of these V5's OFF MY SHELF where I retired it after it "falsed" on me way too often when I was using the x,y,z acceleration as a (messin with the tractor) motion trigger. Always wished that were configurable, i.e. consider this delta over your last x,y,z position as report-able motion, everything else ignore as wind.

I had never used Garage Door Mode because I wasn't using it on a garage door. But this mode could be better for my use case.

I'm curious, what do those of you who ARE using this with success know for sure about the logic in Garage Door Mode? Is this basically a mode where the x,y,z attitude is measured for "significant angle change" and acceleration per se is ignored?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

UPDATE 1:
My testing shows that yes, with Garage Door Mode ENABLED and Three Axis Reporting DISABLED the device is more an "attitude change" indicator as an opening AND closing garage door would offer. Specifically, vertical to flat, and flat to vertical, with any modest motion in either plane not seeming to trigger "active". Also, the magnet sensor (at least mine) reads OPEN no matter what I do with the magnet while in this mode.

Turns out this mode would have solved the problems in my other application, not a garage door but the requisite motion to trigger would have been satisfied.

UPDATE 2:
Just want to give some support to the claims that there's some problems getting these configured. I had second one which was set for acceleration & magnet which I wanted to change to the Garage Door mode. No change/configure instructions (from what was previously set) seemed to cause any change. In fact it almost behaved like it was half in one mode, half in the other. It wasn't until I removed the device from HE, and used the recessed reset button on the side to prepare it for re-pairing, was I able to get it to take on the new mode settings (and even with that it seemed to take a moment or two before things started showing up as expected).

UPDATE 3:
Any of you that have gone through the effort to successfully reset, re-pair, and configure new driver settings for these but have unexplained acceleration triggers...you might have a bum unit. I have two of these and this one I took off the shelf to give a second chance is randomly triggering (even in Garage Door Mode) when it shouldn't. Not often, which makes it worse....as in, that one trigger in the middle of the night that gets your blood running. That's why it was put on the shelf a year ago.

I used this on my Garage door for a couple of years and never had a single issue with it. I plan on using them again on my new garage doors once my house is finished being built. You just place it on your garage door(Just let the magnet stick it to the door) and when the door opens, it goes from vertical to horizontal if you will. Worked perfect every single time.

2 Likes

OK, changing gears now...

A.) You guys use this to trigger an opening and/or closing based on simple "activity" since there is no "orientation" data (i.e. near vertical vs near horizontal) and the magnet contact is not involved.
IGNORE - KEEP READING THREAD

But...

B.) To indicate "it's open longer than it should be" and "act on that" or not ....do you accomplish this in RM by setting a timer upon initial activity and waiting for second activity (which you presume is the closing)? IGNORE - KEEP READING THREAD

Thanks for replies.

It's configured this way so it resets the timer if I open close and then open a few minutes later. I use the tilt sensor as a backup to the controller status in case an event is missed for whatever reason.

I use it to know if the door is actually open or closed as intended.
I am temporarily using the plug for a different purpose but this plug would normally activate the relay contact to simulate pushing the garage door button.
Garage Door Close

I also had a rule to auto close the door if I left it open and was not working in the garage.

1 Like

Both your and @chipworkz examples are good to see, thanks to both of you.

BUT.... "TILT SENSOR" ????

UPDATE: For those that read this someday, if you get these to configure correctly the "Contact" field Open/Close response is consistent with vertical vs horizontal positioning. Mine had not configured correctly reported correctly and always showed OPEN in this field. So I was thinking it was the active/inactive acceleration that you went off of to use these in Garage Door Mode. WRONG

When setting it to use on a Garage door, the tilt of the sensor Opens or Closes the contact.
So if you set it Vertical on your desk so you are looking at the face of the sensor, it should show Closed. The when you lay it face down on your desk, it should show Open.

1 Like

OOOK starting to feel DUMB here. So these then behave as a SWITCH. Grrrrrrr

I swear that Contact field showed OPEN.....alllllll the time, I would have noticed this. Interestingly, I DID notice the device does not show active until the attitude change "from vertical to horizontal" , like a tilt switch. But I did not notice the OPEN/CLOSED change.

Gotta go back and play with this.

======

OK, the acceleration changes from active to inactive at about 45 degrees attitude change the temp works, BUT that stinkin Contact field never changes. No wonder I was perplexed trying to write a rule around these :crazy_face:

HOLD THE BUS !
I just stuck the thing on something to keep it vertical and went to work on the CONFIGURE / Save Preferences cycle buttons. Low and behold it changed to CLOSED !!! after a couple. I'm telling yah people, I HAD THOUGHT I DID THAT a few times last night to get it into Garage Door Mode in the first place.

Went back to the other unit I have and did the same CONFIGURE two step, that I thought I had done before....and presto it went to CLOSED. Now maybe the fact that I was not touching the unit and that it was in a vertical position out on the garage door had something to do with this.

Lesson to others, (flaky behavior of acceleration on the occasional unit aside)...don't give up on trying to get these CONFIGURED. BUT being on the latest version of the firmware may be helpful to getting these to behave correctly and with less difficulty configuring.

Current States

• acceleration : inactive
  • battery : 85
  • temperature : 67.55

Current States

• acceleration : inactive
  • battery : 85
  • temperature : 66.31

• endpointId: 01
  • model: multi
  • application: 11
  • firmwareMT: 1241-0020-00000011 <-----OLD FIRMWARE, could be a problem!
  • softwareBuild: 00000011
  • manufacturer: Samjin

FYI, you are on an older firmware version that used battery faster than the newer firmware that I last upgraded to. I am on firmware 1241-0020-0000014. I had to upgrade the sensors using Smartthings and haven't done it for probably a couple years now.

1 Like

Thank you for that note, and battery consumption IS a problem.

UPDATE:
OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and postulate that the FIRMWARE version may be material to proper behavior/reporting of that Contact field when in Garage Door Mode. While above I reported that hitting the CONFIGURE button finally got that field to change (when I had the device placed vertically) I still can't get that field to change by changing the orientation of the device. Which was the behavior I originally was dealing with.

I have a feeling that my original CONFIGURE last night had worked, the device was set as it should be, but it was subsequent configure pushes WHEN THE DEVICE WAS AT A DIFFERENT ATTITUDE that forced it to report the new and different state (horizontal-OPEN, vertical-CLOSED). So the thing knows it's sitting different, it's just not reporting that change unless prompted.

Somebody should make a small biz outta updating device firmware. To the degree that some "no longer made but still desirable" devices might be worth the hassle, there are so many others that will just be thrown out because manufacturers didn't get it right when they sent them out the door.

1 Like

I was originally on the 11 firmware and never had a problem with my dozen or so of these sensors. I only updated them to help save battery usage. These are still being made now by Aeotec. I have 3 that I just got but I haven't connected them yet to see what firmware version they are on.

OK, so much for blaming the firmware then. I've got two misbehaving to your dozen working . Something else must be amiss. I mean it is clear that the device knows when it is past that 45 degree point, it knows it's changing orientation and goes "active". Just never changes that Contact field.

This is a device with a history of juggling to get it going.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/samsung-multisensor-always-open-on-garage-door/

https://community.hubitat.com/t/smartthings-multi-purpose-sensor-crippled/