Garage Door - SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor v5

and now as I set it back to Garage Door mode, it turned to "closed"... but then I went and opened the garage door and the status never changed to Open.

Hmm. With the senor removed from the door and in Garage ON mode. Does it change open / close status when holding it vertical then horizontal?

It does not, I was trying that at my desk before I double sided taped it to the garage.

Perhaps it's a bad sensor.

Please try removing the sensor from garage mode and then turn on the 3 axis sensor, Then either move the sensor slowly or open/close the garage door to see if it is reporting changes on those axis?

I had some weirdness with a V4 sensor a while back, and the V5 was recalcitrant prior to working.

Check out this thread and your logs when doing the "Save Preferences" to be 100% sure the sensor is in the correct mode.

You don't have it mounted upside down so you? The flat side goes on the left.

@nclark I did do that earlier when I had the sensor at my desk and was moving it, and it did report XYZ. I'll try again in a little bit after I get some work done (instead of staring at Hubitat screen!) that it's attached to garage door.

@arnb I'll take a look at the logs and flip some switches back and forth and see in a little bit

@danfox52 nope, on correctly :slight_smile:

Odd, I have the magnet sensing side of the sensor pointing down (Yes not quite level. OEM mounting tape has very strong adhesive, and I could not easily move it, but it works). I also put the magnet on the door next to the sensor so I would not lose it.

So "Garage Option: " doesn't even show up on my log.

Untitled-1

Swapped to three axis, opened the garage door, and the values changed.

1 Like

Good you got it working.

At some point prior to using my V5 sensor, I put it onto the ST hub and it updated the device's firmware. I had three axis on at one point, but it is now disabled. Try disabling three axis, perhaps it will continue to function.

well the three axis had worked prior when I was flipping between "use as garage door" and "three axis", but the value of open/close still doesn't change in the MyQ garage door device.

Changed back to garage door, saved, configured. But open/close still doesn't change.

Ugh, this is frustrating.

ok, it does not change in there, but does it change in the MultiSensor Device page? Just in case it has nothing to do with the sensor it self.

2 Likes

Did you ever get this resolved?

Unfortunately no, I got busy with other stuff and never got back around to messing with this again haha.. eventually I'll get back to trying!

Currently I have two standard door sensors on my garage door but was looking to replace these with just a single ST multipurpose sensor. I now have one of them and can get it working but it seems slow to update, especially the acceleration attribute. It seems to take quite a few seconds after movement has stopped before it returns to inactive. I need this to be much more instant than it currently is for my use case. I don't suppose there is a way of increasing the response times is there?

Finally got this working, but had to use the HubConnect app. So connected my ST hub as a remote hub to my Hubitat, paired the ST sensor with ST hub, and then that would push if it's open/close to Hubitat.

Then set up normal notification in hubitat.

Having the same problem. I have 2 multisensor v5 in garage door mode and they do not update when the garage is open/closed. The acceleration and temperature update just fine, so I'm pretty sure its not a mesh issue.

Having just read this thread about Garage Door Mode I was JUST about to pull one of these V5's OFF MY SHELF where I retired it after it "falsed" on me way too often when I was using the x,y,z acceleration as a (messin with the tractor) motion trigger. Always wished that were configurable, i.e. consider this delta over your last x,y,z position as report-able motion, everything else ignore as wind.

I had never used Garage Door Mode because I wasn't using it on a garage door. But this mode could be better for my use case.

I'm curious, what do those of you who ARE using this with success know for sure about the logic in Garage Door Mode? Is this basically a mode where the x,y,z attitude is measured for "significant angle change" and acceleration per se is ignored?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

UPDATE 1:
My testing shows that yes, with Garage Door Mode ENABLED and Three Axis Reporting DISABLED the device is more an "attitude change" indicator as an opening AND closing garage door would offer. Specifically, vertical to flat, and flat to vertical, with any modest motion in either plane not seeming to trigger "active". Also, the magnet sensor (at least mine) reads OPEN no matter what I do with the magnet while in this mode.

Turns out this mode would have solved the problems in my other application, not a garage door but the requisite motion to trigger would have been satisfied.

UPDATE 2:
Just want to give some support to the claims that there's some problems getting these configured. I had second one which was set for acceleration & magnet which I wanted to change to the Garage Door mode. No change/configure instructions (from what was previously set) seemed to cause any change. In fact it almost behaved like it was half in one mode, half in the other. It wasn't until I removed the device from HE, and used the recessed reset button on the side to prepare it for re-pairing, was I able to get it to take on the new mode settings (and even with that it seemed to take a moment or two before things started showing up as expected).

UPDATE 3:
Any of you that have gone through the effort to successfully reset, re-pair, and configure new driver settings for these but have unexplained acceleration triggers...you might have a bum unit. I have two of these and this one I took off the shelf to give a second chance is randomly triggering (even in Garage Door Mode) when it shouldn't. Not often, which makes it worse....as in, that one trigger in the middle of the night that gets your blood running. That's why it was put on the shelf a year ago.