Garage Door Rule

would it be possible for you to take pictures of your setup?

I just received my Zooz Zen16 Multirelay. I thought I was going to be installing this up by the opener (out of sight), but upon further research it looks like I'm supposed to install it by my switch (eye-level, and unsightly).

If its the same wire at the switch and the opener, why can't I connect it up at the opener?

Side Question - my first time working with a relay, thought it would come with some wires, do I need to order wires? If so, is there a certain spec of wire I need? Thanks!

You could if your opener doesn't use Security+ 2.0. For such openers (which are newer), the switch is powered by the opener (i.e. 2 wires), but controls the opener using an encrypted wireless signal, much like a remote.

Connecting the dry contact relay across the switch's terminals permits the same encrypted signal to be sent wirelessly using the radio in the switch.

Note: this only applies to openers that use security+ 2.0

Edit: You could consider buying a second switch and putting it and the ZEN16 into a project box that is mounted right by the opener. The second switch would have to be paired to the opener and connected to the same wiring terminals as the first switch.

When I open up behind the switch are two white wires coming out of the wall - according to some research this is where Iā€™m supposed to install the Zooz relay.

However, attached is the picture of the wires by the opener... can I just wire it up there? Any certain wire specs I need to purchase to complete the connection?

Brand and model# of your opener? It doesn't look like any I've seen - just need to be sure it is not Security+ 2.0

Genie Intellicode

Seems fairly old, was here when we moved in... doubt it has anything fancy

1 Like

As best as I can tell from the manual (warning: PDF), you're good!

Thanks for looking into this!

I assume you are looking at page 24?

How do I know which wires to put to the relay? 4 wires at the opener and 2 at the switch?

Regardless I assume the rest is the same- two white wires into the R1 on the ZOOZ and then from the SW1 back to the wires that were disconnected?

1 Like

And 23.

You will need to connect to terminals 1 & 2 only. 3 & 4 go to the safe-t-beam (page 23).

1 Like

thanks for the help @aaiyar.

@jsc, on the motor will be 4 contacts (as you showed). 2 will be for the switch and 2 will be for the safety sensors. In my case, I have a Security 2.0+ motor and needed to get a Security 2.0+ switch to bypass that security.

With the help from @aaiyar, you would connect into 1 and 2. Test it first with a jumper wire and ensure the garage will work if you connect these contacts. If it does with no issues, then you can connect the COM and NO contacts of the relay to these contacts. When you trigger the relay, it'll close this contact and open/close your garage.

I'd definitely recommend teaming this up with a contact sensor so you can know the true state of the door

2 Likes

Yup. Or tilt sensor. I made a tilt sensor out of an old GoControl contact sensor so I didn't need to bother with the magnet.

Is that a tilt ball sensor? I have a GoControl contact sensor I was planning on using, I could look to use those external contacts with a tilt sensor instead of trying to mount the magnets up

Yup it is. PM me your address and Iā€™ll put a couple in the mail for you. I bought a few and needed just one.

Thanks. Actually, Iā€™ve had a window/door sensor on it for a while. It was way easier to figure out the status and get notifications if it was left open.

Actually smartening the door required more work/research.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

What gauge wire do I need? (Nothing in the house)

Think I read 16 somewhere

Gauge from the ZEN16 to the opener? I had leftover thermostat wire (18 ga), so that's what I used.

Since youā€™ve done a wide variety of DIY projects. What gauge would be most versatile? Donā€™t need 10ft of 16 gauge if this is the only one it will work for.

And yes I think Zooz recommendation was 16 gauge

Then I would use 16 gauge.

Because they recommended it or because itā€™s versatile? If not that versatile Iā€™ll look for less than 10feet...

Oh - because they recommended it for sure. I'm not using a Zen16. I'm using an zigbee outlet wired to a dry contact relay. And I use a driver that turns the outlet off 150 ms after it is turned on ....