FYI - Ring is having issues today, being worked on

Looks like AWS east 1 is having issues affecting many services...

1 Like

Keep thinking about switching to completely local cameras...but I have five ring cams and a a doorbell and just too lazy to face the hassle of taking them out, selling them, and replacing w/local cams, and re-training the wife to deal w/something new. :frowning: (That last item is the most daunting by far...) :wink:

Arlo has a local storage option... USB stick... maybe ring has something similar?

I am facing the same situation but WAF not really an issue. In my case I ripped out all my consumer-grade network gear a few months ago and went with Unifi. They have a nice NVR solution and PoE cameras. But the thought of wiring 10 of them in a 130 year old house is just daunting, I might start with the most critical and go from there.

1 Like

I recently did this. Took out my 3 ring cameras and all of my wyze stuff and replaced it all with BlueIris and cameras that have local RTSP feeds. Ya its a bit more complicated of a setup but I can do so much more.

Camera images on the dashboards, lots of control of motion detection and integration into HE. When somebody rings the doorbell it shows up in a box on all of the active TV's (WAF is high with that one). I also have all of the cameras recording 24/7 while at the same time still sending me notifications and clips when motion is detected. Took a while but works really well.

I just got fed up with the closed ecosystems.

1 Like

Yeah, the main issue is I need a month with the wife away to get it set up, work out the kinks and my goofs, etc. Anyone need a temp roomie for a month? She can cook like there's no tomorrow, and makes a Director's salary. Quite a package! :wink:

2 Likes

Does she have your bread and pastry recipes?

1 Like

But your wife is an excellent QA resource! Almost as good as automated regression testing.

2 Likes

She has delegated that to her staff (moi) and is not involved.

OMG so true...she could trip a failure based on a misplaced bracket in 5,000 lines of code at 30 paces.

When I was still working w/SW dev teams I would actually bring things home (mobile apps, mostly) for her to break. Like watching a bear tear apart a dumpster. :smiley:

3 Likes

Today was blueberry jam day...made some stocking stuffers for my wife to hand out.

1 Like

How is she with sourdough? I could use some pointers.

1 Like

I'm actually the sourdough wizard...much less cuter, much less huggable, but I make up for it with my star baker qualities. :wink:

If you (or anybody) wants some sourdough input, I'm no wizard but can share what I have learned - feel free to PM.

2 Likes