Future Hubitat CHIP support

Ford vs Chevy.

3 Likes

AHHHH, I understand completely now haha. Ford guy myself...

I agree with PH, CHIP is a bunch of bollocks!

1 Like

they're trying to make it more appealing to the masses (similar to wemo). it's funny looking at the big players in the initiative though, i definitely don't trust them

1 Like

I don't find CHIP appealing either, but I'd like to know from hubitat how they would handle this once it comes out.
Will it be possible to use our "old" zigbee and Z-Wave stuff along with the new protocol or would we need additional products / hubs / softwares?

Isn’t this news nearly a year old?

2 Likes

Yup - one and the same.

And a very similar spec has failed in the market place earlier. I had a few TCP lighting bulbs with their hub before I bought a Wink hub.

3 Likes

Look at Paul Hibbert’s latest video on YouTube. He has it all figured out. Corporate Greeeeeeed.

4 Likes

Royalties for the various patents they'll create that Apple, Amazon, Google, and Samsung can all get a cut of the $$$ on.

I suspect that's an impossible question for them to answer. I don't even believe the detailed spec of the standard is published. It's kind of like asking your cell phone carrier what their plans are to let your phone support 6G... well since it doesn't exist yet, how can they answer that question?

4 Likes

13 Likes

Beat me too it!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Wow. I had a whole fleet of those like 5 years ago and forgot all about them. That was a bummer when their hub shut down.

1 Like

From the Stacy on IOT link:
“The Project uses Internet Protocol (IP) rather than the Zigbee transport and networking protocol. Project CHIP and Zigbee are two separate protocols.”

Zigbee will evolve, but it's staying around. Amazon is still putting Zigbee radios into its newest higher end Echo products. Even Lutron is adding products based on the same IEEE 802.15.4 standard that Zigbee is based on.

The current standard that may be left out in the cold is Z-Wave as there is no current path for it to speak in IP.

The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.

3 Likes

No, there is - as an encapsulated IP packet. Z/IP has been in the zwave spec for a while.

1 Like

Doesn't HomeSeer make a product that uses this? OTOH, I might be confused about how their Z-NET works.

homeseer's z-net is different, it is just a remote zwave radio - but still traditional zwave at the radio and protocol side of things..

Zwave over IP is really kind of a funky thing. I've never seen it in use in person, but have read chunks of the specs on it.

I think some level of support for Z/IP is actually required for zwave 700 certification too... If I remember correctly (I might not be - not a topic I focus on).

The way I read the documents I've seen is that it is likely more useful as zwave network extensions/distributed zwave networks than end Z/IP based devices. But again - I'm not an expert on Z/IP.

@bcopeland You're zwave smart. Do I have any of the Z/IP stuff right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I stand corrected, But based on the Stacy's article there are still some Z-Wave technical limitations that are at least slowing any Z-Wave entrance to the CHIP alliance.

No argument there. I don't think zwave and chip have much of a convergence path right now.

Z-Wave standards have laid the ground work for IP based Z-Wave.. And yes you are right there are requirements in the 700 series certification that call for Z-Wave IP support.. It's funny because CHIP is working on a standard and Z-Wave has had it for a while now.. And when the time comes, it will be nothing for Hubitat to flip a switch to enable compatibility with these future Z-Wave IP products.

1 Like