Future Hubitat CHIP support

The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.

3 Likes

No, there is - as an encapsulated IP packet. Z/IP has been in the zwave spec for a while.

1 Like

Doesn't HomeSeer make a product that uses this? OTOH, I might be confused about how their Z-NET works.

homeseer's z-net is different, it is just a remote zwave radio - but still traditional zwave at the radio and protocol side of things..

Zwave over IP is really kind of a funky thing. I've never seen it in use in person, but have read chunks of the specs on it.

I think some level of support for Z/IP is actually required for zwave 700 certification too... If I remember correctly (I might not be - not a topic I focus on).

The way I read the documents I've seen is that it is likely more useful as zwave network extensions/distributed zwave networks than end Z/IP based devices. But again - I'm not an expert on Z/IP.

@bcopeland You're zwave smart. Do I have any of the Z/IP stuff right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I stand corrected, But based on the Stacy's article there are still some Z-Wave technical limitations that are at least slowing any Z-Wave entrance to the CHIP alliance.

No argument there. I don't think zwave and chip have much of a convergence path right now.

Z-Wave standards have laid the ground work for IP based Z-Wave.. And yes you are right there are requirements in the 700 series certification that call for Z-Wave IP support.. It's funny because CHIP is working on a standard and Z-Wave has had it for a while now.. And when the time comes, it will be nothing for Hubitat to flip a switch to enable compatibility with these future Z-Wave IP products.

1 Like

OK, so I wasn't completely remembering wrong.

That said, I don't actually know of (or have) any Z/IP devices. So it is a little of a moot point. Until there are devices, hub support is really academic.

Before I move on to other shiny things:

CHIP is a application protocol, the transport protocol beneath it can be wifi, zigbee, zwave or other.

Kind of like the 7 layers of networking protocol - these are acting on different layers and do not replace each other.

I'm immediately suspicious when I see the word "Alliance". I've seen it many times. Often the goals of an Alliance are seen by looking at which players are missing. And equally often they fall apart when a major player doesn't want to be another commodity. Interoperability is needed but I don't know if it's coming from CHIP.

Tell me about it...

4 Likes

WiFi Alliance, Zwave Alliance, Zigbee Alliance... all those alliances seem to be doing just fine. I wouldn’t read into a word too much!

1 Like

I guess whole home WiFi is more of a thing now, so I get the WiFi route. The masses probably won't understand a ZigBee / Z-Wave mesh concept, but WiFi is simpler concept

After living the WeMo Wifi adventure and all the 'good' and 'not good' that Wifi brings to the table. I wish you all luck moving from ZigBee and/or Z-wave to Wifi. There is a reason these things exist.

2 Likes

Wifi is a hot mess, but tbh I see it as a gateway to serious automation.

I started off with wifi and soon realised its limitations and moved to zwave.

4 Likes

came here to add that i just watched this yesterday

2 Likes

To my understanding, CHIP provides an application layer to an transport layer protocol like Thread, providing its functionality with integrated frameworks like DotDot. Source

The first products starting with the (Zigbee-like?) Thread are already commencing (eero pro, Google WiFi, Eve, so there definitely is a lot of movement there.

CHIP will try to level out the functional differences between all services like Apple HomeKit and standards as it stands above the transmission layer like Wi-Fi, Zigbee, Bluetooth, etc. One source

Maybe this would even help with the current driver nightmare we're currently having with all the (future) different devices on hubitat (even though I must admit, hubitat is doing great and it's not at all hubitats fault).

Here's an update:

Project CHIP embraces a timeline and the blockchain

2 Likes

You know a project has jumped the shark when it resorts to adding blockchain to its press release and product!

9 Likes

Seriously, blockchain is OVER!

Looks at Dogecoin/Ethereum/Bitcoin... HOLY CRAP!