Further Xiaomi Pros and Cons

You seem offended, which wasn’t my intent so i apologize.

In terms of this discussion, it doesn’t matter though. @chuck.schwer posted a clear definition of how the word should be used that is included in the standards document. That’s really the only definition that matters.

From my understanding zigbee is an open protocol which is available to anyone to use as they wish. If an OEM chooses to do odd things, it is totally within the OEMs right to do so. There is no body policing the zigbee protocol. It has been used in industrial devices for ever, with no thoughts of Interoperability.
The Zigbee Aliance and Zigbee Certification is another story. Zigbee 3.0 will only be a good thing if a manufacturer submits their devices for certification. Sadly for zigbee device buyers, there will be OEMs that do and OEMs that don't. For devices that are certified there will be added costs to have the certification. Today, I don't see much difference in price for top line Zwave and Zigbee light switches.

Tracking all of that.

The discussion here partially covered the fact that Xiaomi has been know to have trouble repeating/routing through known good repeaters too.

I don’t need good repeaters, I have plenty of the top ones everyone here recommends.

I’d like more and interesting devices, especially temp/humidity sensors. I just don’t want to get ones that will jack up my mesh or require me to buy tons of IKEA plugs and get rid of my already purchased routing/repeating devices.

I’m not tracking of anyway to statically assign repeat/routes for devices.... if I am wrong please someone education me cause that would be awesome.

I was not offended. Just clarified things :slight_smile:
I completely agree with the definition of shall.

1 Like

Unfortunately there are a lot of posts about people having issues on here with them. Lots of possible reasons why. Hence why you should stay away from them if you want an easy solution.

You can go through it all yourself and figure out what works or look at what people with stable Xiaomi setups have working. I spent the last year doing this out of lack of info and a bit of stubborness at first.

I did the iris outlets... they failed. I used the Sylvania outlets, they worked nicely but hard to find them with the exact model number now. I tried the Ikea outlets and they work the best as my xbee also seems to scan through them much better than the Sylvania outlets. I have 50+ devices running very reliably in a 2500 sq ft house with my hub in the basement corner.

Just passing along info as to what really works well based on experience to save you some headaches.

2 Likes

What would be cool will be if the Xiaomi allowed custom firmware to be loaded. When they first come up I saw a guy trying to do that but it needed a new chip desoldering the old one and programme the new chip and soldered it on the pcb. Too much hassle for the gain.

Thanks, I’ve read through most of it, which is why I never picked any up. Stuck with what has been tried and true on the forums.

I’m gonna pick up the motion and temp/humidity sensor just to check them out. As I stated earlier, an Xbee is on my list to get in the next couple of weeks so hopefully things will test out ok and it won’t be a complete loss.

I don’t want to replace any existing devices just for Xiaomi. But that IKEA USB repeater looks nice and I may get one in the future.

XBee is a great toy to see where things are routing through. I have mine also setup as a router upstairs and a lot of my zigbee devices also route through it as well. A repeater like the Ikea only route up to 6 or 8 also I think. I remember there was a limit on how many a router repeats. The xbee grabs a lot more than that though.

Just seeing the mesh network though is the fun part.

At worst, if someone decided they were fed up with all of their Xiaomi / Aqara devices, they can be converted into ZigBee sniffers (linked page in French):

Then sell them at $20-25 each for profit! :rofl:

I see the XBee module as a very useful tool, and the XCTU software that helps visualize the routing is great. I would be using an XBee whether I had any Xiaomi / Aqara devices on my mesh or not.

1 Like

Start working on your Exit plan are you?! :joy::rofl:

1 Like

How many devices you need for your testing? I still have one contact sensor unopened.

Happy to see Xiaomi getting some love and great support from Hubitat even though not officially support.
I think Xiaomi have likely sold more devices world wide than any other single manufacture and now with Ikea partnering with them and if their engineering implements zigbee 3 correctly they will likely far surpass all other manufacturers.

Overall I am very happy with them.
With a little extra proper setup (not plug and play) they stay connected and work fine.
Like most sensors they are missing one option that would make them great.
A usb power option like what the expensive fibaro and Aeon sensors have.
I have modded most of my Xiaomi and other battery sensors to usb power even added a Xiaomi motion sensor to my Aeon Siren but would be great if usb power option was already built in.

1 Like

@chuck.schwer @veeceeoh @JasonJoelOld

There is one thing i'm not even grasp at this point but one of you or others in the forum can explain it. This just crossed my mind as I was walking home from a start-up pitch event (where I saw one of the worst pitch o gave seen to date).

Scenario A)
Zigbee 3.0 coordinator with ZHA 1.2 end device.
I assume that the zigbee 3.0 stack will handle without issues the 1.2 end device?

Scenario B)
Zigbee 1.2 Coordinator and Zigbee 3.0 end device. Here as the coordinator has no capability to understand zigbee 3.0 improvements it will expect ZHA 1.2 responses. If the end device only has implemented zigbee 3.0 how it will now how to respond in 1.2? If reasoning is to be called a logic needs to be written on the end device for it to default to a 1.2 state if it "detects" that the coordinator is 1.2. As such does this means that this logic it present per default on 3.0 stack or if it is written as per Mft definition we might end up where we are today?

Hope it makes sense what I'm asking...:rofl::joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Zigbee 3.0 is designed to be interoperable and backwards compatible with certified Zigbee legacy networks. A legacy Zigbee device (meaning, a device conforming to a certified Zigbee standard; aka not 'legacy' Xiaomi) can join a Zigbee 3.0 network; a Zigbee 3.0 end device should be able to join a legacy network. 'Only implementing Zigbee 3.0' means that it has implemented the responses necessary to join a legacy network. At least, that is being advertised; see:

The question is more around a zigbee 3.0 end device joining a ZHA 1.2 coordinator.

The spec explicitly requires 3.0 end devices to be able to connect to a previous version network.

1 Like

From the page I linked, re: Zigbee 3.0 :

It is interoperable

• Certification ensures device-to-device interoperability
  • A single application language provides for multi-vendor ecosystems
  • Designed for forward and backward compatibility
    • Legacy devices may join a Zigbee 3.0 network
    • Zigbee 3.0 devices will join legacy networks

Note that current Xiaomi devices, not conforming to a certfied Zigbee profile, aren't necessarily included under the legacy umbrella. That's what spending the money for testing and certification would buy-- and where the 'shall' means 'must' details would have been ironed out (but hey, they are cheaper).

1 Like

We already have zigbee 3.0 sensors pairing and working just fine with hubitat, we've already been over this.

4 Likes

I have 5 ST zigbee 3.0 water sensors and they work perfectly on HE, and on ST v2 hub too, and they are not z3.0 hub

The ST V3 is ZigBee 3.0 device.

I'm relieved if that's the case :slight_smile: