Frustratingly Unreliable

I have noticed this with certain buttons that are linked directly to bulbs(Mainly Ecolink and Sengled). If I use the button to turn off a light it is connected to, and then use HE to turn it off. The button thinks it is still on. So, you have to toggle the button twice to change it. (Basically, if the button remote uses the same button to toggle on/off, then I think that is what causes it. The ones that have a button to trigger on and a different one to trigger off don't seem to have this problem)

For my desk lamps I have sengled bulbs in them. I have a Node-RED "rule" that reads a "single tap" as a toggle for my "left" lamp and a "double tap" for the right. Long press toggles both.

This morning I single tapped and the left lamp did not come on, then I double tapped and the right one did not come on. When I repeated the process both worked. In my experience this will now work all day/night until tomorrow morning even if I leave it alone for a few hours.

Nope.

1 Like

Is the switch SENGLED also? If so, that was a specific one that I have with the same issue.

Are you using the switch to cut them off at night? or something else? That is what seems to cause the issue for me. I was using the switch to cut on a light, and then letting it turn off on a timer. The switch "thought" the light was still on so the toggle button sent the off command next time I tried to turn it on. I reproduced this by turning it on with the switch then telling google to turn it off. The following button press required two taps to turn it back on 100% of the time. However, if I used the same button to both turn on and off, then it worked 100% reliably.

I believe it has to do with how the button is designed to communicate directly with the bulb and not the hub. The fact that you are using Node Red instead of the hub automation tells me it's probably one of those devices. Basically, the switch, and the hub you have it associated with get out of sync with respect to the status of the bulbs you are trying to control.

No the button is a one button samsung. I use them in a couple of places. Tomorrow morning will physically power one of the sengled off/on and see if the button works. I guess I could also watch the logs.

1 Like

My c-5 is incredibly steady and reliable. To be frank the ONLY time something bad happens is due to me messing it up, or a batter in a sensor dying before I get warned (device issue).

I have a C-7 waiting here for me to migrate over to, but given the hassle am waiting for the migration tool I hope they release sometime next year.

Edit: I will add that I do do a weekly "soft restart" using the wonderful Rebooter App, that was mainly to solve some very minor slow-downs I had 6 months ago, which might be fixed in the latest Hubitat versions.

1 Like

I migrated from ST to He not long ago and haven't had many issues. I had one or two z-wave devices miss-behave as I built the new mesh, but left for a day or two for the routing to sort itself out, they've been reliable. No issues at all with zigbee devices from HE perspective.

1 Like

I've been with Hubitat since early in the C-4 days. I had found the C4 to be exceptionally reliable.
As this is as much of a hobby as a home accessory I've been keeping up with the updates and still had few or no issues.

I recently updated to a C-7. I'll admit there were a few quirks to workout. Currently:

• my Zigbee is very solid
  • my Z-Wave has some periodic issues.

To get here I found pairing everything without security helped a lot. (I have no locks or devices that can benefit from security).

Stepping back and thinking of all the posts I've read in the recent months it appears to me that Hubitat is one of the first adopters of the 700 series device and the transition from the 500 to the 700 has not gone as smoothly as we (the users) would like.
Having been in product development my guess the transition is probably more typical than folks would like to believe.

Personally I've stopped posting about any little thing I think is wrong and waiting for the next update. Based on nothing more than how quiet the Hubitat folks have been my guess is there is a pretty large update in the works.
I expect this update will fix a lot of the current annoying issues but will have its own growing pains.
The excellent performance of my C4 makes me believe the C7 will get there as well and I need a little patience while it all shakes out.

just my 2Ā¢

2 Likes

I think it's actually good to post issues as you come across them. A lot of times it's a simple user error, configuration issue or lack of understanding that can be cleared up by a quick conversation but also it could be something important especially if enough people have similar experiences. I know the staff keeps tabs on these forums.. so are aware of various issues/complaints etc. They even respond from time to time which is awesome. Also it provides searchable content for people looking for possible solutions to their issues.

The trouble starts when a frustrated user just vents / makes overly broad easily debunkable claims without listening or takes out their anger on community members who are trying to help. The good news is this seems to be very rare here.

I get the frustration having experienced it many times from C-4 thru C-7 setups - when things don't work it may seem that everything is broken. The reality though is it's just a lot more complicated than people expect.

5 Likes

I have found HE to be frustratingly unreliable YES ... BUT... here is what I have done to make it VERY reliable as of late... (surprisingly to me)

Dump all battery powered buttons in favor of Lutron Caseta Pico's (and the associated bridge)

Use as many Caseta switches as I can going forward

Dump ALL Peanut Plugs and use Iris plugs

Reboot the hub every night

I am also only using ZIgbee (and Caseta)- no ZWAVE

For the 1st two years my experience was pretty poor... once I did the above... my experience has been almost 100% reliable... I actually cannot believe it.

I could NEVER get the Samsung button to work reliably... I had it set up as a panic button... one time we had a bat fly into our house and harass the cats... I yelled to my wife excitedly "hit the panic button"... !!! Of course the stupid thing did not WORK AS USUAL... so frustrating!!! Soon after I threw all those out and now am using the Caseta Pico's which have worked quite reliably. I personally will never use another wireless button besides the pico. YMMV.

My Sengled lights often require a power on/off to get them responsive again.

I can say that never happens to me - I've got a bunch of sengled bulbs in lamps and 8 recessed color+ bulbs in our den ceiling. They are all (still) working fine as far as I can tell.

The morning office lighting fail only recently started happening when I migrated my Zigbee devices from 2 C-4's to a single C-5 (My Z-Wave devices are now all on a C-7). I might add a repeater for fun.. just to see if that helps.

Did you update the firmware of your bulbs? You can only do that with a Sengled hub I think.

1 Like

It only happens to me when I use the Sengled button remote to cut it on and something else to cut it off.

I sold my zwave light switches and dimmers since they were not reliable with the c7. Went with Shelly wifi devices and its Rocksolid!

I really like the Picos too but the Samsung buttons have been great - such a simple interface! Use them for our master bedroom sconce lighting control.

Everybody has their own experience I guess.. other than initial pairing issues and as previously mentioned a device or two stuck on bad routes my Zooz Toggles (Zen23/24 V2 thru V4) have been working fine - no sporadic/random issues to report.

The GE/Jasco Zigbee switches look interesting too..

Those worked (by worked - I mean they functioned) for me. I did eventually replace them as I had the older "non-plus" versions that did not report back to the hub. So, I could not reliably tie a rule to reading the fact that a switch was on. I could turn them on or off all day long through HE with no issues though. The Inovelli reds soon invaded my home (One by land, and a few by sea maybe? LOL) In any case. That was the "worst" of my transition. It was all specific device and outdated protocol related. To be fair, they did update with the polling app 95% of the time. I just did not like spamming my hub so I replaced them. In ST, the spamming was done in the driver. But, they also had a habit of being offline frequently on ST for me.

1 Like

I use these buttons and they work great even outdoors. when i go out to the hot tub the lights come on auto for 3 minutes. i use the button to turn them off at night

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R5NJDE4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i see price is crazy now.. when i got them about 12 bucks

1 Like

I know there was a firmware update for them when I bought mine. I only have 4 of the Sengled color bulbs, but many Sylvania full color recessed (both have been nearly perfect), and a slowly dwindling number of Sylvania color A-19s (which either last forever, or die in a few months) that I have been replacing with Hue. I have six Samsung buttons, mostly for temperature sensors, spread around the house and have never had any problems with them, but they also have had numerous firmware updates. I have two C-5 hubs with all zigbee bulbs on one, and all end devices on the other, save for 5 Samsung plugs, 3 Sylvania plugs, and 4 or 5 GE zigbee dimmers. Rules are primarily on the hub with the end devices, and I never reboot anymore unless there is a firmware update.