Frustrated with zigbee

Yes, I didn't reread the whole thread and see you talking about joining. Sorry about that, just saw the part about plugging it in and letting mesh work it out. Coming from the demographics of easily confused senior citizen the stand alone comment confused me.

This (force heal with hub off vs. just letting the network self-heal) came up in a thread a while back and makes an excellent read:

TLDR: You'll likely want to take the hub out of the loop during the zigbee heal rather than rely on the end devices to discover routers that have been newly added to the network.

Looking at Patrick’s post he suggest not forcing the devices into panic mode. It’s said it will drain the batteries....

You need to read JDRoberts explanation in the post I linked; although you can always try the self-heal first and see if that does the trick. Would make an interesting exercise.

Quick question on these.

Does the energy monitoring work?

I can't check from work, but I'll look tonight. There's a thread here: Securifi Peanut Plug Power Meter that discusses the Peanut Power Metering...

Scott

So I purchased 5 in total. I think I purchased to many.

I've received two today and install them.

Here's the current readings of all the devices that are connected via zigbee.

• [Orbit Garden(-85)]
  • [Basement MS2(-60)
  • [Laundry Room MS(-60)
  • [Laundry Room MS2(-59)
  • [Basement MS(-59)
  • [Garage Door Sensor(-72)
  • [Basement Plug - Lamp(-59) - Peanut Plug
  • [Upstairs Hallway MS(-61)
  • [Bathroom Upstairs MS(-63)
  • [Living Room MS(-68)
  • [Kitchen MS(-67)
  • [Master Bedroom MS(-59)
  • [Bedroom Room MS(-83)
  • [Bedroom 2 MS(-68)
  • [Garage MS(-65)
  • [Mudroom Plug(-68) - Peanut Plug
  • [Bathroom Downstairs MS(-60)
  • [Mudroom MS(-63)

Just a follow up. Since I put in the plugs plus added two since my last post. I haven’t had any drops with any of my motion sensors for 12 plus days....

I’m actually starting to feel like things are running stable now.

1 Like

Another follow up.

Still no dropping off the network.

4 Likes

I also found that adding repeaters was a necessary step in order to have a strong mesh network.
I used the Ikea Tradfri repeaters (only $10 each), in strategically placed locations, and found that they made a huge difference. (I found that they are even better than Ikea Tradfri Outlets, though I'm not sure why).

1 Like

Interesting. Did you assess that based on device LQI? Or devices not dropping off?

Devices not dropping off.
I made first a mesh with those repeaters. I then forced a Zigbee heal (since I changed everything).
After that I haven't had any issues with devices dropping.

1 Like

Both.

@mik3

I thought you were using zigbee plugs (Peanut/SmartThings) based on your posts earlier in this thread.

@jtmpush18 has compared the Tradfri plugs to the Tradfri USB repeater and finds the latter to be better than the former (based on devices not dropping off). I am interested in this specific comparison because I'm setting up a new Hubitat in my godson's home.

I have Tradfri plugs in my house (no zigbee dropoff issues), but if the Tradfri USB repeaters work better, then I'd rather use those in their home because they're smaller and less conspicuous.

That's correct. I bought 4 peanut plugs.

Since I put these in place, I haven't had any drops and it improved my signal strength.

1 Like

That's the way it seems to me!
However, for a scientific answer, I suggest asking someone who has a XBEE with the XCTU software. That will truly "tell the tale", as to the difference between those two devices.

1 Like

Yup. Plus they're compatible with current Xiaomi Aqara devices.

Although the next generation of Aqara devices are supposed to be zigbee 3.0 compliant, and should be able to use any ZHA 1.2 compliant repeater.

You are not the only one who has said this. The odd thing to me is that the repeaters only transmit at 3 dBm, whereas the outlets, IIRC, are 13 to 14 dBm. Bottom line, you have a good mesh and that's the ultimate goal.

1 Like

More power doesn't always mean better reception. Also I don't think dropping of devices will be solved with a repeater transmitting at a higher power. I think it has to do with the receiving part of the repeater. The transmitting part of the repeater could give you some extra meters from the hub though.

1 Like

In my ham radio days, more power often also meant more noise.

2 Likes