Frustrated with zigbee

So I’ve had the iris v2 motion sensors spread out through my house. And this morning I’m finding over half my motion sensors not working including my smartthings multi purpose sensor. All reporting roughly around the last time since last activity.

I had to walk around pull the batter and put them back in for everything to start responding.

I tried rebooting the hub first. Turning the zigbee radio off and on again before doing this.

Honestly, I’m on the fence of ripping all these zigbee devices out and going with z-wave every where. All my z-wave devices never have any issues at all.

I’ve had these in place for a couple months and yes I had problems with two, but after relocating my hub things have been good. Now this around 2:38 am in the morning over half just stopped working! I’m super frustrated with their reliability....

To add every motion sensors is within 25 from the hub.

Any thoughts???

Question...do you have any repeating devices...plugin plugs, hardwired zigbee devices, etc?

1 Like

No, but everything is within 25 feet.

Yeah, in my house the bulk are within 25 ft, but a plugin device often has a stronger zigbee signal than the hub, and battery devices will often pair with them better.

You might also check your zigbee channel, as it has been reported that channel 20 often works the best. Check that channel # with a forum search, as I'm on 14 at the moment, and I can't remember why....

The Securifi Peanut is only $15 on Amazon, and is reportedly a great repeater.

S.

You didn't mention how many devices you have, but there are limits to how many devices a hub or repeating device can directly connect to. You probably are not over the hub limit (32 I believe - most repeaters are 16 devices), but I mention that because there are definitely scenarios that even if everything was in the same room you would still need a few repeaters...

14 in total.

And these don’t have a problem acting as a repeater for these zigbee devices?

Is that the recommended ones to go with?

They are frequently recommended here. I don't have any Iris devices myself, so I'm afraid I can't answer definitively. I find the Peanuts and Samsung Smartthings plugs all seem to work well for me.

1 Like

Okay bought two. I will place them on two sides of the house and see how things go.

I prefer the Ikea Outlets, as they seem to work universally (including w/Xiaomi devices), and are really cheap. But there are a lot of options for repeating devices.

I have 4 Iris V1 motion sensors connected to a C5 HE and 5 Bosch motion sensors connected to a C4 HE. I've not had issues with them dropping off Zigbee. There is something that you can do to check and that is to look at the child and route information. You can do this by going to:

http://(hub's IP address)/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

Although, if there are no repeaters, the list may be blank. If there is something that is a flaky repeater, it may show up and let you know why you are seeing these motion detectors drop out of the mesh.

1 Like

Also a good idea to go into Zigbee settings; choose a Zigbee logging and take a look at the signal strength and link quality indicators as your devices operate. The typical range of Zigbee (and Z-Wave for that matter) is always quoted as if there were no obstructions (free air) between devices but throw in sheetrock, cabinetry, common building materials and radio reflective surfaces and you will realize why these devices only operate reliably in a mesh configuration in the real world.

If you are seeing RSSI numbers above the mid-80s and LQI's below 200 you're dealing with signals that are mostly noise. You'll be seeing slow response as devices need to retransmit; eventually they lose contact with their parent and will start scanning to find a better one.

Also keep in mind when you add your new repeating devices, it's a good idea to do a 'heal' to force your end devices to search for a new parent rather than just wait for them to give up and try it on their own.

2 Likes

Okay I will check.

How do you force a heal ?

So I just checked this. I think only 2 or 3 were sitting at -82/255.

Lots of sensors reporting below -80 like -62 dropped off the network.

1 Like

Repeaters should definitely improve your situation. The entire purpose of a "mesh" network is that a signal can have multiple routes to the destination. Battery devices aren't repeaters so literally all 14 of your devices have ONLY one route to the destination. So right now you don't have a mesh, and more similar to a wifi network with all devices having only one route.

2 Likes

The easiest way is to shut down the hub and let it stay powered off for a half hour while all your other Zigbee devices remain powered on. This time is long enough for all devices to realize they have lost contact and need to scan the network to re-establish their links and routes. When the hub is powered on it still may take a matter of hours for the network to reassemble itself in its optimum configuration.

1 Like

Even with those numbers posted above? Most are under -80

I don't think this will do him any good, as his devices (being all battery powered) will still only have ONE route for traffic without repeaters.......the purpose of "healing" the network is to rebuild a mesh for multiple routes, which his currently cannot do.

I bought two ikea zigbee plugs. Should be here Wednesday.

1 Like