Frustrated with my hub

Z-wave devices have been moved. (should I say a much better signal then I was getting, and more responsive)

1 Like

Why not leave HE as your gateway and run all your rules on node-red? I can understand Lutron with your new house but since you are not there yet. No point wasting so much money on new and old gears. Unless money isn't an issue.

I'll also disagree here. As someone who was frustrated with HE's slowdown's and moved to HA, and have no professional coding background, the move was quite simple. Especially since there's actually a hubitat integration. Install HA, install the integration, setup makerapi on HE and you now have full control of all HE devices on HA.

Maybe someday I'll setup zigbee and z-wave networks directly on HA, but to be honest it's not needed. With HE doing nothing but acting as a zwave/zigbee radio device it is lightning fast. I'll probably even buy the new c7 hub for the 700 series chip before I'd buy a separate zwave and zigbee dongle for HA.

1 Like

Because I’ve become so damn frustrated with the hub that I don’t want any part of it ever again! :wink:

1 Like

Moved on to the next step.

• purchased the radiora2 and sensors. I got everything half off. Still expensive but worth my time in the end.

I’m hoping to get a listing together in the coming weeks of all the devices I will be selling. Basically all Iris v2 sensors and plugs.

You might have a problem with the hub or some sort of issue with an app installed, I have over 120 Devices Z-Wave/Zigbee/Vitural, 20 Different apps, 30+ Rules, and more. I have never had a reboot that was not called on or due to an update, and everything i have runs instantly.

1 Like

How about the HE hub? Are you selling that too? Canadians get first dibs? :crazy_face:

It's much easier to ship that way, and yes I'm selling the hub.

I have no patience man. I'm done.

Almost exactly the same here, but probably closer to 175 devices. Not sure what could cause this bad of a problem for mik3. It isn't typical behavior for sure.

I don't care anymore. :slight_smile: Honestly, I'm done.

2 Likes

Seeing more and more of these posts. It's unfortunate. I'd suggest looking to an outside box for logic and relegating the he to z controlling. The hub just isn't designed for for those of us who would stress it. Sad but true.

Despite us being the beta tester / guinea pigs and reporting majority of problems we are not the target audience.

1 Like

This is very likely, but honestly, with the recent outburst I had, I'm done. I don't even want to use it as a gateway. I don't want this thing in my house.

I've honestly contemplated making a youtube video of smashing it with a hammer. Obviously, I won't do this because it's childish, but it's been a thought!

1 Like

My 3 HE hubs production only 1 app : Maker API . The 4th HE hub with HE Dashboard. All hubs run smooth, really fast because all automation is running on RPI4 with Node-RED. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The Hub's so small that you might get views if you had a kid doing it... :smiley:

1 Like

Guess I upset somebody again..

1 Like

Problem is that doesn't always help!

My whole system is Node-Red and MQTT based and all hubs I use are radio gateways only (been doing it like this since about 2014).

My second C4 (with just a Nortek ZigBee stick) has just 36 ZigBee devices - 10 Iris v3 contact sensors, 10 Iris v3 motion sensors and 15 plug sockets (mixture of SmartThings and Innr).

ALL using built in system drivers and the only App installed is Maker API for my integration into Node-Red.

Been running solid since December, on a UPS, ambient temperature maybe 20 deg C, plenty of airflow around it, not next to any heat sources. Only reboot was when I last did a firmware update to 2.1.7.123 (I don't tend to update often unless there's something specific that needs fixing).

Tonight it just stopped responding, rebooted it via the 8081 port tools and it's back up. Looking at past logs it just stopped at about 18:50 .... nothing .... no errors, barely any events (I mean maybe a motion sensor event every few minutes, door sensor now and again, socket turning on / off).

So not exactly a hugely taxed hub and like I said all system drivers and only Maker API.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Looking into it, that shouldn't happen. Thanks for pointing it out.

3 Likes

The one thing I can say positive is that the community rocks!

2 Likes

Respectfully, I can’t really agree with this.

There is a problem somewhere, yes, but I don’t think it is a performance issue with the hub. A more powerful hub may stay reliable longer but if there is a leak somewhere it will eventually overwhelm the hub. With 3rd party apps we are also hoping they write them properly to not clause issues. Running them on a dev hub alone vs on a hub with many other apps could create issues that aren’t seen during dev.

I have 200+ devices on my c4 along side a lot of wifi and cloud integrations and currently don’t experience any of these problems. Others have reported issues with their setup and have much fewer devices and integrations. When I have had issues I have been able to track it down to to things like devices flooding the network with power reports. I’ve also written all my own apps and drivers so have an in-depth view into how everything works. But I also don’t expect others to have to do this. It really should just work.

I do follow these threads and try to find common issues but can’t see anything really.

I’m almost tempted to buy @mik3’s hub and migrate my setup over to it just to see if it happens to me. That could point to a hardware issue if it then starts to hang but If everything works fine then it could be one many other things.

Im waiting on the C7 hub though to buy my backup.

3 Likes