Free HomeSeer Pi-Version

I keep hearing that it’s not just a hub.

What are some real world examples and use cases that are outside what Hubitat can do ?

I have a Smartstick+. If I do decide to purchase a Raspberry PI i would imagine I'd use the smartstick+ correct? For Z-wave if I wanted it connected to HomeSeer directly?

I'm not going to start the religious wars here...The two systems shouldn't be compared as they are of completely different leagues but can complement each other. If you want to know more you should ask on the HS forum.

Linux and Pi illiterate here. Would it be possible to run the Homeseer Pi version on the Linux VM of a Qnap Nas or is there something specific to the Pi that makes it incompatible with other Linux operating system VM?

Depends on if your NAS supports ARM based linux VMs, or just x86.

If it supports ARM linux VMs, it might not be too bad. If x86 only then it won't be fun.

Some tips here, if it does support ARM VMs:
https://raspberrytips.com/run-raspberry-in-virtual-machine/

I've been looking for anything stating which it has but am unable to find out which one (probably because of not really knowing what those terms mean or where to look) but this is what the linux specs states on there website.

And this is the Nas I have but instead of the 2gb of Ram I've upgraded it to 8gb.

I think I figured it out. But looks like it's a no go for me then?

On quick googling, I think you are probably out of luck.

It doesn't necessarily matter what processor you have as much as how they implemented the virtualiztion. QEMU/KVM (the virtualization software a lot of linux based NAS use) can emulate ARM for use in VMs, but not many are setup that way.

Also, for what it is worth, you can run ARM VMs in Windows using Virtual Box as well.

1 Like

You don’t need the arm version.

If you pull up the guide for the install you have two downloads. One of which is just Homeseer and another that’s the full pi version.

Setup a standard version of Linux (x86) and extract and run ./go .

You will need mono but the guide should walk you through the install.

This is what I’m using. Just remember you are limited to 5 plugins with this version. That’s why I purchased the hs4 standard upgrade.

I haven’t made a full transition over. But as I build Hubitat rules I’m replicating them under Homeseer.

I haven’t made a decision on either or platform. I’ve still been using Hubitat as my main hub and working through issues.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't go look if you could do it another way, so thanks!

Thanks for the update I will be looking into this closer in the coming weeks.

All I need is the 1 for Hubitat. I will still use Hubitat as my controller, I just need something actually reliable for the zwave devices. Rumor has it zwave is rock solid on Homeseer, so all I need is it to house my zwave devices and still have Hubitat control them.

So you are using a Qnap Nas or a Pi?

Just remember that you will need to expose virtual devices to Homeseer and write rules based off those events to turn on or off the zwave devices that are paired to Homeseer.

1 Like

Then you need a reverse of the HomeSeer plugin. The HS Plugin exposes the HE devices to HomeSeer for status/control. HE doesn't know anything about what is inside of HS.

1 Like

So that sounds like my plan won't work then, I thought I read somewhere that the HS hubitat plugin mirrored the devices and control could be had on either end. Guess not.

Appreciate the update before I'm out the purchase.

You can sorta. But yes it’s mainly a one way street. The idea is HomeSeer is to act as the main controller and Hubitat would act like a gateway to your zigbee devices.

Yep @jeubanks was right I'm looking for the reverse. Hubitat to be the main controller and Homeseer as the gateway to my Zwave devices.

Then look into Home Assistant and the alpha MQTT hubitat app.

It can do what you want pretty easily, although it is an alpha - working well,but not 100% feature complete, and not all device types supported yet.

I was afraid someone would recommend that. I find Home Assistant very intimidating as I'm extremely code illiterate and have heard rumors that it takes some time to get it configured. But I did learn how to setup Kodi from scratch on some Android boxes so I guess I can try learning more about it.

It's really not that complicated. I find the UI to be more difficult to use for their automations than simply writing them in a text editor. This is improving but it's going to take time and I still prefer just coding them.

edited because my keyboard is sucking... new one in the mail....

1 Like

It would also be pretty easy if you were only going to use it to connect Z-Wave devices, but do all your logic over on hubitat.

1 Like

There's really no easy way apart from MQTT bridges to do what you want to do (Other hubs -> Hubitat).

HomeAssistant has changed a lot in recent months. It's not as user friendly as Hubitat, but it's getting there slowly. Hass uses OpenZwave at it's core for Z-Wave. I would say it's glitchy in some ways and behind HomeSeer, ST and even Hubitat when it comes to ease of use. Device support is good, and there's all kinds of advanced options like direct associations, node mapping, per node heal etc. If you take the time to learn how to use all the advanced functions and are patient, Z-wave on Hass performs quite well. I've been running all of my Z-wave stuff on Hass for a week, and it's quite stable.

I still liked HomeSeer's implementation best though.