Project: Four Channel Remote HE C7 LED Bulb Annunciator R1
My home is somewhat large, with two stories. I needed a "remote", RF, LED Bulb annuciator to show critcal home automation visual alerts and statuses instantly, in other distance rooms in my home. Having a quick visual of my home status from this "Remote Four Channel LED Annunciator"
from the HE C7 Hub is great and very less time consuming by always checking my HE dashboard.
Other family members find this remote LED annunciator very convenient since they don't have an available tablet or mobile device. Since HE C7 has two built-in RF radios (Zigbee and Z-Wave) then this project was somewhat quite easy to design and build from off the shelf products.
- Four Zigbee annunciator channels using color, plugable, automotive 194 LEDs.
- Very portable, annunciator enclosure can be easily placed on a table, shelf or mounted on a
wall with picture hangers.
- Loud, 80 Db Piezo buzzer with enclosure mount buzzer with SPST on/off switch used only on
channel 1 for critical "red" alerts.
- HE C7 hub can send RF Zigbee alerts to remote rooms located at long distances from HE C7
- Optional, stylish pocket keychain fob used to control LED annunciator channel(s) for channel
On or Off function control.
- Flexible and fast reconfiguration of all of the annunciator color bulbs and positions and Zigbee
HE C7 alerts.
- Four #194 automotive (@ 12 VDC 1 watt - 10 watt Halogen equivalent) color LEDs used for very
bright, 360 degree visual annunication.
- Very economical - ~ $10 $USD per annunciator channel.
- Stylish annunciator enclosure with plastic globe and remote keyfob passed with two thumbs
up test by the wife.
- No HE C7 dashboard needed and this saves buying extra mobile devices and tablets for the
- Low cost and easy to DIY build. ~ < $30 USD "BareBones" or the upgraded model ~ < $45 USD.
(without the optional keyfob and stylish globe addition)
- 194 automotive LEDs rated 50,000 hours. ( ~ 2083 days) If used only a few hours a day -
decades use is possible.
- Critical pre-morning calendar alerts - doctor's appointments, dentist's appointments, friends,
family birthdays & anniversaries. Resets daily at night.
- Normal pre-morning calendar alerts - Federal/State holidays, events like art festivals, fairs,
exhibits. Resets daily at night.
- Tornado alert using "open weather" App - will also trigger channel 1 (if programmed) with the
80 Db Piezo sounder.
- Critical "red alert" on channel 1 for PIR motion, perimeter zone, nighttime breach. The "wake
the dead" 80 Db Piezo sounder will sound if panel switch is enabled/on.
- All user calendar data is safe guarded by embedded it into the "local" HE C7 Hub. (External, c
cyberspace, Google calendar is NOT used!)
- All solid state - will last for years!
My Home Four Channel Remote HE C7 LED Bulb Annunciator Configuration:
Channel 1 Red LED alert - for PIR home perimeter zone monitoring (used only at night).
Channel 2 Blue LED alert - for severe outside "open weather" alerts - Tornados weather alert is
priority #1 along with severe low/high temps. and windspeeds.
Channel 3 Amber LED alert - for daily upcoming very important calendar birthdays, anniversaries,
doctor & dentist appointments and events.
Channel 4 Green LED alert - for daily upcoming (non-critical) calendar Federal/State holidays and
Operation of my Four Channel Remote HE C7 LED Bulb Annunciator:
My remote placement, of the Four Channel Remote HE C7 LED Bulb Annuciator, is in the master bedroom far away from HE C7 Hub. Used mainly for late night operation and early morning wakeup calender/event heads-up pre-notifications.
When Channel 1 Red LED alert comes on (with PIEZO buzzer) from a perimeter PIR zone monitoring breach at nightime beween the hours of 12 AM to 4 AM. I will know to get (in order) "THE DOG", The Shotgun and call the EMS, the Coroner or Police last.
Note: Hubitat HE C7 is not used for security. Another system provides status indication for this zone security breach.
When Channel 2 Blue LED alert comes on (with PIEZO buzzer & channel 1) Head for the basement for protection from tornados or bundle up for severe, extreme outside "open weather" alerts.
When Channel 3 Amber LED alert comes on to "jog my memory" for daily, early upcoming important calendar birthdays, anniversaries and upcoming doctor & dentist appointments. (resets daily) Birthdays and anniversaries are yearly repeating then setting a calendar flag will repeat the events yearly.(forever)
When Channel 4 Green LED alert comes on to "jog my memory" for daily, early, upcoming non-critical calendar holidays and local special events. (resets daily) Federal Holidays are also repeating!
To reset the annunciator - there are four ways. Using the Fibaro stylish (Z-wave) FIBARO KeyFob remote or just unplug/plug in the power wart or install a momentary NC pushbutton switch in series with the input power (positive) supply or use your mobile device.
Testing reveals no issues receiving 4 Zibgee channels from HE C7 hub ~ 100 feet away. Will update on any project issues.
Cost - DIY BareBones ~ < $30 USD and $45 for professional enclosure. Cost does not include the optional plastic dome and the remote control, stylish keyfob.
Next - Part II for DIYers.