Forum New User Tutorial

Oh where, oh where can it be found?

Badges / Certified makes mention of an interactive new user tutorial, which I have been unable to find.

Yeah, it's kinda dorky and pointless. I'm just hunting badges.

There are some great getting started videos on their Youtube channel, hopefully they'll add more soon (hint hint:-).

2 Likes

Lots of videos. If there is something you feel is missing, let me know.

2 Likes

Specifically referring to the one associated with the Certified badge.

That’s for this forum, not the hub itself.

Did you get a PM from a chatbot when you signed up for the forum? Do the tasks it tells you to do, and you’ll get the certified badge.

It's really just a basic walk-through of discourse, nothing that can't be learned with with a google of specific needs or perusing their forums.

But if you insist on doing it, just click your username icon, then messages button, and you should have one from discobot, the title is "Greetings!". Just follow the instructions.

Another nice cheat sheet/thread:
https://forums.republicwireless.com/t/my-discourse-cheat-sheet/253

1 Like

FYI... i almost tossed the hub in the trash being forced to do your bots tutorial before I could post/access the full abilities of this site!!! huge waste of time for likely most of the people here who i bet are early adopters and well versed in technology.
At the very least your bot should say that "as we get to know you" means that you MUST complete his "tutorial" :frowning: before we will help you (allow you to ask for help) on this forum.

I take forum badges really seriously, so I did the tutorial and I enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Ah, finally sorted out that the New User Tutorial involves a series of replies to the PM from @discobot. Badge Certified Acheived

I was granted Basic and Member when I first registered on the forums. Granted I'd already purchased my Hubitat Elevation with the same e-mail address. I was able to post and PM from the beginning with no issues, which was surprising as I'd expected to be restricted for several days, the first 10 posts or something.

Restrictions on new forums members is very common.

For transparency purposes and for those who recently signed up for new accounts, there are some restrictions in place to limit the risk of spam. Although spam bots pose a challenge to unmonitored communities, the most difficult to prevent, is the spam that comes from human spammers, who often blend in at first, by making legitimate posts before posting their spam. With this is mind, one can expect to not be able to reply to other posts or create new topics for several hours after creating the account.

There are no requirements to complete any tutorials or gain special badges in order to gain a higher trust level. Just be yourself, browse topics and familiarize yourself with our community, and before you know it, you will be automatically promoted to a higher trust level. And if you are too impatient to wait, you could send an email to support@hubitat.com and we will adjust your access before the automatic promotion happens.

1 Like

I get stuck at the @ part when you are supposed to @discobot . It waits about 10 minutes, asks where I am. Probably why I am having trouble

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

@discobot display help

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start {name-of-tutorial}

Starts an interactive tutorial. {name-of-tutorial} can be one of: tutorial, advanced tutorial.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: By nature man hates change; seldom will he quit his old home till it has actually fallen around his ears. — Thomas Carlyle

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

@discobot roll 2d6

@discobot quote

:game_die: 6, 2

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal: my strength lies solely in my tenacity. — Louis Pasteur

@discobot reached out to me to say that while he is bound by the chatbot code to respond to you wherever you invoke his name, he would prefer that you keep your conversations with him to private messages :wink:.

4 Likes