Former Vera/Ezlo Owner happy to be here!

I have been a long time Vera/Ezlo owner that has very recently made the switch and couldn't be happier I think I originally bought my vera lite almost 12 years ago. (Loved that device). Eventually graduated to the Vera Plus my vera lite got relegated to my winter residence in Mexico. Eventually when that support came to an end I upgraded it to another vera plus. For years vera had been messing with my motion sensors. Tripping when nothing was there, not tripping when something is there and sucking batteries like crazy even though I had the LEDs off (Zooz zse40) I was going through a every other week.

Finally i saw the Ezlo hub and figured its been out for about 18 months it HAS to be ready for prime time right? I couldn't have been farther from the truth. I was interested in the virtual devices via the google ecosystem (I have LG mini splits id love to control via my hub) I thought win/win

What a poor device the ezlo hub is. I have a 750 sq/ft condo in Mexico it hardly large but is concrete i already know how troublesome that can be for wireless signals i had devices 15ish feet away through a concrete floor that I couldn't see or control. To pair i powered the vera with my phone and did hotspot for internet added the devices however after i added the zwave switches for my AC units (aeotec heavy duty switches) the hub would freak out (switches were on the support list) but it wouldn't even allow me to exclude or pair anything else. I did zwave repairs etc to no avail. I thought I might be coverage so I bought a couple extenders nothing helped everytime I'd start to add out door stuff the hub would go unresponsive and loose control of device that previously worked.

Tons of work with support for about 6 weeks they might get stuff ok for a couple hours then it'd fall apart. I honest feel bad for their support that they have to support such a trashy product. If it was a beta device id cut some slack but it wasn't.

I had a choice either migrate back to the vera plus which was ok but Vera/Ezlo said support is coming to an end or to switch to something different. A couple years ago (2019) I was pissed at vera for something else and bought a bunch of new devices to see where id migrate too. I tried a smart things but didn't care for it. I tried a HE C5 but really I didn't give it a fair shake and it was relegated to being in a drawer. It came back out this week and the zwave coverage is soooooo good. I only had to move 3 zwave devices closer for peering everything else was awesome. Soon as i was paired I moved them back to their home and they're awesome. Still tons to learn on the new platform I have the aeotec home energy monitor I have to figure out if i can get this into grafana or similar. Also need to figure out notifications so far they don't seem to work (Chalking that up to being a n00b on the platform)

So happy with the fast switching and way better bettery management on my motion sensors no false alerts.

Has anyone got their HE to send alerts via a Slack webhook? That would completely fix my issue...

Anyways glad to be here and hope to be here for a long time.

4 Likes

As you test this, keep an eye on your Z-Wave device performance. If you have many Z-Wave devices and start sending lots of data from a device like a Home Energy Monitor, you could overwhelm your Z-Wave mesh.

As for Slack webhook, not something I’m familiar with, so I’ll let someone else respond.

Welcome to Hubiat! I really hope that it meets your needs.

Trying to use your phone? Or something like a smart speaker that makes announcements in the home?

• Assuming the phone, which operating system, IOS or Android?
  • You went into the phone app, settings, and claimed your hub (selected a hub)?
  • If you go to your Device tab on the hub, do you find your phone as a device? It could be by name "toms phone", or by phone model.
  • In that phone device on the hub, you should be able to send test messages. Do those work?

No clue. But a lot of people opt to use Pushover instead of the built-in phone notifications. So maybe that could work for you?

1 Like

I've not used it, but there's this:

Alternatively there are more up-to-date slack integrations in Node-RED...it's easy to pull all your Hubitat stuff into there too.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions neonturbo. So with a bit more testing i looks like a problem specific to my Pixel 6. I pulled my pixel 3 out of a drawer installed the app and pushes immediately worked.

I even went so far as uninstalling and reinstalling the apps verified permissions I get other notifications. I even say a couple other people complaining about pixel 6/6 pro issues here looks like something phone specific. ( maybe I should try beta to see if that helps.)

If not some other people have spoke about a slack integration i use it as my main messaging bus these days.

That slack integration is so good! I have alerts coming in. No issues now. Now to time start porting over the rest of my automations from my "Legacy Hubs") I'm sort of sad I never gave this device a fair shake when I originally bought it in 2019.

1 Like