Forcing NYCE Zigbee motion sensor to inactive

Hi,

I'm using the NYCE motion sensor (NCZ-3041-HA). Is there a way to use Rule Machine to override/force motion state to inactive?

Thanks,

g.

No this isn't a virtual device so you can't tell it to do something it isn't. Why would you want this anyway?

1 Like

I've got rules setup for motion lighting with various overrides. The overrides work but I have to wait for motion to clear before the rules start working again. I was thinking if I could include an action in my override rules that clears the motion that would speed things up and make things work that much better. Is there no way to do this with configure()?

I have a few nyce sensors but havenā€™t had any reason to mess with them for a while. IIRC, they donā€™t have a configurable motion timeout.

But their timeout is pretty quick, like 30ish seconds or so. I canā€™t think of many motion sensors that reset much faster than that.

As @BorrisTheCat said, itā€™s a physical sensor, not a virtual sensor, so you canā€™t use rule machine, or another app, to change the sensor state.

2 Likes

You'll have to use a virtual device in your rules to achieve that. The virtual device can be set to active or inactive based on the real motion sensor, and when needed you can set/override the value.

Whatā€™s the use case for a motion sensor that resets in <30 seconds btw?

I need a motion sensor that is either VERY sensitive, or has a long timeout.

Since we have not figured out room presence (yet), we have to depend on motion sensors.

Motion sensors trigger, and then timeout. You are sitting in a chair, and the lights go out kind of thing.

Well, a motion sensor with a "long timeout" is functionally the same as just putting a long timeout on the OFF logic... Right?

Just make your OFF delay longer.

2 Likes

Yeah, just ~$100/sensor (if you buy 10 packs)... So if you have 10 rooms with 2 entrances each you would need to only spend $2000 for the Hiome sensors. :roll_eyes: Oh, and that is for the wired model. If you want battery operated, now you are up to $150/ea with the battery pack.

And it can't do large entryways like many transitions from living room to kitchen or kitchen to dining room.

Will be interesting to see the reviews when it is an actual released product, though.

1 Like

Lutron sensors are very sensitive. But you would need a full RadioRA 2 system to use them. Not worth the investment for sensors.

Otherwise use multiple sensors, motion sensor aggregation app, and increased timeouts. The NYCE sensors are pretty discrete.

1 Like

It's a steal!

I came to that conclusion while my bathroom lights went on and off LOL. Trying it now, thank you!

I suppose I will have to keep my eye out for a "presence" sensor.

The solution that is working for me now is a combination of NYCE sensors (more sensitive that ANY of my prior solutions) and the Zone Motion Controllers in Hubitat.