For sale: Whole House Surge Protector - Leviton 32412-DS3

I've got a Leviton 32412-DS3 that I need gone asap! Installed to realize I do not have a split phase. No wires were cut on the unit.

https://leviton.com/products/32412-ds3

I've listed it on eBay Leviton 32412-DS3 Whole House Surge Protector | eBay

What kind of electrical service do you have?

Single phase (also known as split phase) is the most common residential electrical service in the US.

I guess there are some high-rises that use triple-phase.

1 Like

To be honest I am not sure what type of service I have but my electrician said it cannot work with what I have.

If you are interested in keeping and having a surge protector I would call Leviton Tech support. Perhaps the electrician wasn't up on whole house surge protectors. Or perhaps it is a physical limitation of you installation (i.e. a condo with the electrical panel in a hallway)

1 Like

Did the electrician say it won’t work because you don’t have a standard, split phase residential electric service?

As others have explained, it’s pretty likely that you do.

Do you live in a single family house?

1 Like

@JohnRob @marktheknife

I think we've got this backwards. I just looked at the eBay listing. The picture with the listing is for a 3-phase surge protector (line 1, line 2, line 3).

The wiring diagram for this product on Amazon also make it clear this is a 3-phase surge protector (L1, L2, L3).

So @cbc101 almost certainly has standard single phase residential service, which is not compatible with a 3-phase surge protector.

5 Likes

Yes that's the same diagram on the side of the unit.

I just confirmed with the electrician that is indeed 3 phase.

1 Like

If that's on the unit then it must be correct. I found it odd the Leviton link showed a split phase unit.

The unit came in different variations.

I only realized after the return period was out hence I'm trying to sell it now.

1 Like

Maybe a long shot but maybe you unit can still be used using only two of the 3 clamping circuits. It might be worth a call to Leviton.

It might work, although the lack of voltage on the unused line input might cause a fault indication. Also, three phase delta services have 208 volts between the hot legs; single-phase systems have 240 volts between the hot legs.

There's no way Leviton is going to tell someone that it's ok to use one of their products in a manner it wasn't designed, tested or certified for. A lawyer would have a field day with that, especially with a big corporation with deep pockets.

Bottom line, don't do it. The only purpose in life this device has is to protect your stuff from power surges. The last thing you want to do is install it improperly (or install an improper device) and risk having no protection.

1 Like

@cbc101 If you haven't purchased (or installed) the replacement yet, you should take a look at this:

Amazon.com: Intermatic IG2240-IMSK Advanced Surge Protection with Easy Maintenance - Intermatic Smart Guard IG2240-IMSK Whole Home Surge Protector, Black : Electronics

It's quite a bit less expensive than the Leviton unit you bought, but more importantly, it isn't a one-shot device. Most surge suppressors are toast after they've suppressed a surge, which is why they have a fault indicator.

The nice thing about this Intermatic unit is that the actual surge suppressors just plug into the panel, and can be replaced in seconds.

I installed one of these a few months ago, and I bought a spare suppressor to keep on hand as well. Even the cheapest electronic device I have in my house would cost more to repair or replace than this unit cost.

It's not going to be any more difficult for your electrician to install this than the Leviton unit (unless you want to flush mount it (which I did).

1 Like

I've got a replacement already. When that fails I may consider the Intermatic.

What did you end up picking?

This one

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-FirstSurge-Pro-140kA-Whole-House-Surge-Protection-Device-FS140/206560230

1 Like

Excellent choice! It is probably the best residential whole house surge protector available.

I believe @marktheknife uses it in his house. I have one from Eaton, which is also rated highly; nonetheless, because the audible alarm in the Siemens can be very useful, I’m getting a Siemens whenever my Eaton dies.

2 Likes

Actually I got an Eaton device too, but had been looking at Siemens as well.

Can’t remember if there was something that ended up pushing me towards Eaton in the end.

Probably nothing big. They should both function well for their intended purpose when installed correctly.

1 Like