Flume integration

Thanks for the tip. I didn't get the email, but I did read about Flume Insights on their website.

It seems like some combination of restricting access to some current capabilities and hints at additional sensor types for things like faucets.

Notably for this integration, this would be problematic for anyone that isn't a subscriber:

Integrations* Syncs with Alexa, Google Home, or Orbit Integration. *Flume Insight also includes Personal API access

Did they indicate how it would be determined which devices or accounts are grandfathered in?

No they did not. Here's an image of the email.

Actually I think I read that wrong. Apparently we will still receive what we have but new features will be available with Insight. I'm on chat now asking about the API.

Update, chat from support about the API.

Going forward, API will only be available for Insight subscribers. However, since you are already an existing customer, we will not be taking any features away from you. You can continue to use API without the subscription. However, you will not enjoy any of the future features that come out with Insight!

That's how I read it. Thanks for confirming.

That sucks for any new customers that want to run a custom integration, but I get it from a business perspective.

The fee will be 49.99 per year.

Just a heads up to anyone on the fence, now is the time to setup an account and grab the API access if you're going to.

1 Like

After going back through my chat session it does appear that some features we now have will no longer be available to new subscribers without the Insight subscription.

flume1

It will be interesting to see how much they put behind the subscription. Depending on how deeply they cut on the free side, it may not be a while lot more useful than reading your water bill, other than the ability to check and adjust your usage mid-month based on a readback of daily or weekly usage.

I live in the most expensive water district in Florida. Flume has saved me several times by detecting a toilet leak "hung flapper" and using the alert closing my shutoff valve.

Interestingly enough, I just checked my last water bill against Flume and for the month using over 6,000 gallons the difference was 24 gallons which was probably the time of day the meter was read.

2 Likes

Welcome to the cloud model - free access until the company reaches a certain milestone (# of users, whatever) then a quick change over to a subscription model promising grandfathering etc.. Next move - increasing subscription prices, adding a "premium" service that offers the api (or some required bs), changing to a new mobile app and making legacy devices incompatible.. see Samsung/Sonos/IFTTT etc.

Of course I completely understand why a subscription is needed and yes I have found the Flume useful so far but it's just an annoying reminder that we don't really own any of these devices... unlike the HE for example.. :wink:

4 Likes

I did some more research today and it appears the only benefit to current Flume members is the expanded support, the ability to get a 15% discount on "some" Angi services and access to future enhancements. Here's a link to the comparison.

https://flumewater.com/insight

It detected three leaky toilets in my house. These are old toilets with 6 gallon flush. As you can imagine, that means a lot of water flow. It detected it within minutes. We had lots of use of the toilets and they flapper valves just all deteriorated at about the same time. Very worthwhile!

1 Like

@guessed Were you able to adapt the python MQTT script for the encryption?

For reference, I don't even have a Hubitat, but I was starting down this journey to integrate into HomeAssistant.

I've intercepted the data with IOxy, but it seems to be binary blobs which I haven't attempted to parse yet. I'd appreciate comparing notes. If you'd prefer to e-mail, you can reach me this username @icloud.com.

Of course I bought Flume 2 in the beginning of September because I was too busy with life over the summer to click the purchase button and now I don't have API access.

Thanks!

A long time back, they encrypted the payload. I was having a chat with James, and mentioned that I could just sniff the payload and he indicated they'd already encrypted it.

It was open-comms in late 2018, and somewhere ~mid-2019, they locked it down.

It also seemed like there wasn't enough demand for a local API at that time (they were using MQTT back then). If I had to redo it, I'd attach directly to the bridge-device and see what can be observed...

They appear to have a local serial/console style port on the bridge PCB, or at least the v1's do

Anybody else seeing allot of disconnects/reconnects this morning? Mine is going crazy and the Flume online portal is hit or miss. I'm hoping they are working on the backend, I had a toilet leak last week and it took over an hour for my alert to hit which is written for a 6 minute duration.

Now that you mention it, it looks like the app isn't showing me any data even though my bridge and sensor appear connected. I would suspect a cloud issue, like you said. I haven't seen that before, so hopefully it's just a temporary hiccup.

2 Likes

Mine is showing data it's just disconnecting constantly. 37 times in the last 2 hours.

Any updates to this constant disconnecting? Is it still happening?

I am not seeing this behavior on mine.. things appear to be working well - at least no recent "commStatus" errors. I do have to follow up a command with a refresh if I want the status to show up immediately but that seems normal. My refresh interval is every 2 minutes.. thinking maybe of upping it to 5 but for a big leak situation it might be better to leave it at 2. It's running on a separate C-5 hub anyway.

3 Likes

No, the problem was limited to the day I posted.

2 Likes

Hi, I'm all connected up with my Flume 1. Looking around and cannot seem to find how to get this info into a dashboard. What templates should I be selecting when I'm adding a tile to a dashboard?