Flood Sensor is too chatty at the wrong time (or mode)

i've got this zigbee flood sensor ..

it works great with @kkossev driver :slight_smile:

my issue is that, it's communicating its WET status every 5minutes...
and when it's DRY, it just fires that dry status once and go silent indefinitely..

I think this works as a good FLOOD SENSOR as it is noisy/chatty when mode=wet (alert)

But my setup is the reverse... I installed this inside my water tank, dangling halfway down so that I know when the tank is half full

My main issues:

1. What if my hub for some reason misses the DRY status? since the device fires DRY status once, and if missed, my system will never know that water in the tank is low already.

2. Since the sensor will be in WET mode 99.99% of the time, it is chatty.. does that affect my hub's performance and the battery of the sensor greatly? It uses AAA x 2 batts btw.. or is reporting every 5 minutes considered ok and normal?

3. Is there a way i can reverse this? i dont mind if it's chatty when DRY coz that's the important indicator for me. If i cant configure this in reverse, can I hack into the device and make reverse the wet and dry modes? Sure it will report WET when it's actually dry, but that's ok, i can work with that.

You have a rather unusual use case. I am sure the manufacturer has not thought of the scenario where the sensor is wet 99% of the time...

As normally, getting wet is the critical and the important state, that's why the wet state is repeated every 5 minutes from the device. It is not possible to modify the firmware inside the sensor.

What can be done on a HE user driver level is to add an option (preference) to suppress the Info logs, if the leak sensor status has not changed. This will reduce a bit the hub load.... a little bit.

tnx Kkossev

If tweaking options/preferences on HE reduces the load a tiny bit only, then it may not be worth it for me. I might as well keep it as is at least I awalys know that the device is alive.

also just noticed i have other devices (like motion sensors) being just as chatty as well.

Anyway, if can't change the firmware of the device, i was hoping there's a hack on the hardware i can do, like reverse some wires to make the sensor "think in reverse" if that makes sense.

The 2 prongs that needs to get wet basically completes a circuit, indicating WET state.
I'm not very good at electronics, i was just thinking if there's something i can do here, to reverse things that would be perfect.

1 Like