Flakey C-8 + Issue(s) with Protect Registration

When it locks it won't even respond to ping.

Absolutely nothing has changed in over a year in terms of the configuration, switches, router, etc. All static. Just lockups starting about a month ago (week or two apart) and now failures after reboot in about an hour or less after the power is cycled.

I hope someone responds to my ticket where I pasted in the URL to this post.

try a differnet usb power supply.. could be going bad.

2 Likes

Yes try a different power supply 1A-2A is good.

Also, did not see mention of this but what platform version is the hub running and did you by chance update it recently? Could try using the diagnostic tool to roll back to a prior major version like 2.3.5

My biggest worry is / was that I am without a cloud backup due to the subscription issue. Notice the picture in my first post. The first hub listed - The Italian Palace(new) is my C-8 but it thinks its not protected / connected to my subscription. The middle one, my old C-7, is what it thinks is protected but was sent to e-waste over a year ago. Despite all of this I am sure my C-8 WAS showing regular cloud backups. When I hit "deregister hub" for the two above my Backup screen in the UI suddenly showed I had no subscription.

About 20 minutes ago I clicked the add a subscription button / paid again even though my subscription was already active.

Now look at the below picture. Notice that now (thank goodness) its confirming it has indeed been backing up to the cloud despite thinking this hub wasn't registered. Very strange.

I wonder if Hubitat support monitors this forum? I don't have a good feeling because when I filled out the web form to presumably open a ticket I didn't get any form of acknowledgment via email or any response.

Yes but it is also the weekend so they may be doing other things and not online. I will tag @bobbyD just in case, but he should see your case you submitted in due time (I would assume tomorrow some time).

2 Likes

Transferring the subscription is not an automated process, however, if your old hub is still registered to you, you can transfer the service by following instructions in this post:

1 Like

Unless you are dealing with a hardware malfunction on the hub side, if the network disconnects are occuring periodically and roughly at the same time, then I would check to make sure that you don't have 2 clients in your network sharing the same IP address.

Unfortunately, there isn't much in the engineering log that could help troubleshoot network issues, but we will look to see if there are any other obvious problems that might explain the issues you are having.

For now I would disable all custom apps and drivers to see if that resolves the problem. Even if you didn't make any physical changes, it doesn't mean that an app or driver didn't start misbehaving.

I have a robust end-to-end Unifi setup in my home with a UDM Pro at the top of the food chain. The Hubitat has a static IP that is completely outside of the DHCP range with noting else conflicting. The switch the C-8 is plugged into has several other devices that are OK. I swapped the hub with another port just to make sure. To me the issue isn't a network drop but rather the Hubitat is simply crashing.

I will start disabling custom apps and drivers as you suggested to try and isolate if I can do anything to keep the thing up.

In the meantime can you also please look into the protect registration issue I documented above? For now by de-registering & registering the old orphaned hubs + the C-8 I at least seem to have a good cloud backup now. Can you verify that and refund the redundant $30 I had to pay this morning to make everything work + make sure it auto-bills whenever the subscription is supposed to naturally renew?

If I can't isolate the crashing problem to any custom apps I guess you can just send me out a replacement?

Thanks

Are you powering the hub with PoE or a separate power supply? (Unify PoE has known issues with the C-8)

2 Likes

I didn't even know the C-8 was a POE device... I have the external power supply the C-8 shipped with plugged in.

POE is on by default however - could there be a conflict?

In any event I just disabled POE power to the port just to make sure.

Yup, will sort it out, tomorrow.

It is NOT.

There are people using PoE to USB-C adapters. Which seems to work with some PoE switches, but not others.

Good news is the hub has been stable for a few hours now!

I have been using the out of the box power adapter plugged directly into the C-8. So simply using a POE enabled port on my unify switch caused the issue? Doesn't make sense but simply cutting POE on the port seems to have fixed the problem.

Lets let things stay stable for a couple of days before claiming victory. In the meantime this week please sort out the account stuff - thank you in advance.

If it was passive PoE, it would have likely killed your hub …..

Spoke too soon - hub went down again after a few hours this time. Argh. From what I can see logs are clean.

@bobby - I will continue to disable things but I am feeling like the next step is to just replace the hub and see what happens.

Double power to hub likely fried some circuits.

Aren't the Unify PoE device all active (meaning they only send power if the device asks for it)?

The only way it would have fried anything is if it was connected to a passive PoE since the ethernet port on the hub is not designed to handle PoE. Active PoE should be fine since the switch would not send any power down the line.

2 Likes

I received my warranty replacement C-8 today and supposedly my Hub Protect subscription was sorted out the other day as the ID of my current hub now matches up properly with what is in the Subscriptions section of my account page and says "Active" under status.

Going through the hub migration instructions I got to the point of creating / verifying I have a good cloud backup (after hitting the Back up now button under the cloud backup tab).

It then says "Look for cloud or migration (depending on the method used above) under the Type column and the name of the current/old hub under Name to find the backup you just made."

Problem is the backup is showing as local instead of the expected value of Cloud as the docs say to confirm.

Any ideas?

Also at the top if I hit "Reload backups now" button it pauses for a few seconds but nothing happens / changes.

Are you looking on the old hub or new one (should show up on either really if they are both on the same account)?

Check the logs. Possibly the cloud backup failed so it just saved the local backup and bailed. Not sure what it logs exactly if it fails, I do not have that subscription. Are you sure your hub can reach the cloud servers?

This is what it should look like for a cloud backup where yours says local.

This is on the old hub in preparation for migrating to the new one as I haven't booted up the new one yet. Logs say nothing about a backup at all.

One "related" issue that may be relevant. I replied to my support ticket with the following ancillary issue the other day but never got a response back.

On Monday my Amazon Echo integration failed with the below error repeating in the logs. Forum posts suggested I just remove the skill on the Alexa all and relink which I tried but then it won't relink with the error "Unable to link account with Alexa. Not sure if these issues are related.

I even removed the Alexa app from the apps page of Hubitat and the error in the log still persists.

From Alexa App