Fix for flaky GoControl garage opener

I've had 2 GoControl/Linear garage door openers for the past year or so. One of them recently started acting flaky. When I would try to open the door, it would start beeping, but the flashing light was dim, and the door would never open.

However, there a thread on the ST forum where they've figured out the solution, and it worked great for me too!

Apparently there's a safety feature of the internal board where it makes some kind of measurement of the resistance/current/something of the warning LED. If the LED drifts out of spec, it won't open the door. And they tend to drift out of spec after a year or two.

The solution is to solder in a couple resistors in parallel with it, like shown in the pic here: Linear Garage Door Opener Stopped Working - #93 by clintljohnson - Connected Things - SmartThings Community

Easy fix, works great, and I didn't have to replace the device.

3 Likes

I have a GoControl that is luckily still working fine. I did however, save that ST thread info and order the necessary resisters some months back, so I'm prepared if/when mine goes south.

Some excellent sleuthing by the guys that figured that one out. :slight_smile:

Absolutely excellent sleuthing by those guys! And I'm glad it was such an easy fix. I didn't even bother to take the old LED out. The pads were big enough to easily solder the resistors in.

2 Likes

Def making a note of that fix. What an absolutely stupid design issue. smh.

I have to think they mostly just didn't do a good enough job "heat sinking" the LED--so it cooks itself over time (someone else said that particular LED was not spec'd for "normal garage temps" (90-100 degrees F in a garage isn't uncommon).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.