First time trying mmWave sensor, confused a bit, got a few Questions

I just got an mMwave Presence Sensor from Moes and using Tuya Zigbee 4 in 1 Sensor driver as indicated here:

I got the Moes Sensor here
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004147995775.html

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 44
  • manufacturer: _TZE200_holel4dk
  • model: TS0601

So I've set it this way

Q1:
I wanted to try to limit detection to 1m distance only and upon testing it it seems to be a hit or miss. Sometimes I'd be dancing near the sensor and motion isn't detected, or at least it takes a long way to trigger it - and SOMETIMES i was able to trigger it around 2.0m away! - which raises some reliability concerns. (I thought these mmwave sensors are super accurate)

Perhaps I've got it on wrong settings? Have I set it correctly?

Q2:
I'm not really sure what each setting means but are my following assumptions correct?

1. Maximum Detection Distance = any movement beyond this setting wont trigger motion
  2. Minimum Detection Distance = any movement closer than this setting wont trigger motion
  3. Detection delay , seconds = movement must occur as long, or longer, than this setting
  4. Fading Time,Seconds = no movements must be detected within or longer than this setting to consider inactive (eg. no more motion)
  5. Radar Sensitivity = im not sure what this is really.

Q3
The problem I have is the lack of PET IMMUNE motion sensors for zigbee/zwave. (Motion sensors that get triggered only by large movements)

The analog 433mhz Alarm Systems have plenty of options for Pet Immune Motion sensors, but I've yet to find one for Zigbee.

I assumed that this cool mmwave motion sensor does the trick - and if so, how? What settings should I use?

Q4:
I thought we're able to narrow down the field of detection of these sensors - where do I set this?

Q5:
What is SetPar options for?

1 Like

I have been checking these out but haven’t purchased any yet. From what I’ve read, they are used more as a secondary motion sensor to keep lights from turning off (allowing for a short turn off time in a motion rule). They take much longer to activate than pir sensors, and the fact that they can detect someone breathing would seem to be counter to pet immunity.

2 Likes

I have several of these - I like them!

Pets are of course a problem. My cat often has my office fully powered up...

The sensitivity setting in theory should allow you to distinguish small things from big ones. Try turning it down and experiment.

You really have to play around with the parameters a bit to get it right for your application. Just remember that MMR will happily go through doors, windows, floors or even walls so watch how you position it and the max range setting.

2 Likes

I have never tried to limit the detection distance so much. Distance detection is not super accurate in my opinion, You can test this by disabling the option "ignore distance reports" - then in the current states, you will see the detected distance to the object that triggers the presence (motion).
Beware - the distance is sent every single second! If the distance is not used for any useful automation, my advice is to keep this function as it is by default ( no events are generated in HE).

You will need to experiment more with these minimum/maximum settings in combination with the radar sensitivity, radar positioning, etc...

Where is the radar placed? Is it mounted on the ceiling or it sits on a table during your tests?

Mostly - yes. I have never had the time to experiment with all the possible combinations.
The Radar Sensitivity definitely works - you can lower it if your goal is to limit the detection in close proximity (2-3 meters as example), but you need higher sensitivity if the radar is to be triggered from longer distances.

These radards have a relatively narrow directional detection pattern. Aqara P1 has a neat tilting mechanism, you can point the sensor toward the area you are interested in. With the Tuya mmWave sensors this adjustment is not so easy, especially with these ceiling-mounted types. As suggested by @user2701 , the best is to start with lowering the radar sensitivity.

I think that the field detection for the mmWave radar depends mostly on the type of the antenna used inside the device. I have seen pictures of different types of PCB antennas used in the different radars. The Generic rule is : as simpler the antenna is, as wider the detection angle is and as lower the detection distance is. If the antenna is made as a complex phased-arrays design, then the detection distance is higher, but the detection angle is much narrower.

It is for dynamically changing the radars parameters. As example : you may want a maximum sensitivity during the day, so from RM5 or WebCoRE in the morning you can invoke "SetPar, radarSensitivity,9" custom command. At night time you can change the sensitivity parameter to a lower value, so that you lower the chance the sensor to be activated by a pet as an example..

In the current dev.branch version 1.1.1 the list of the possible commands is now shown in the device web UI page :

I really thought mmwave was touted as being very accurate - i've seen lots of youtube reviews about these things.
like this

I needed the distance setting to avoid triggering alerts when pets are moving around.

For example the ceiling height is 2.5meters.
The dogs are maaximum 0.25 meters only when standing
Therefore I wanted to set the detection distance to 2 meters only. Makes sense right?

At the monent I'm testing it whilst it's on the floor laying sideways and facing me, but 2 meters away from my desk.

A, Set Par is cool!
And yes a list of settings would be very helpful. Can't wait for release of 1.1.1

I'll try playing with the distance and sensitivity settings

BTW, i turned off "Ignore distance reports" and triggered it, but i don't see the DISTANCE of detected movement in the logs

I was really hoping with this expensive detector i can do some neat stuff like even make use of the distance detail of detected objects, such as beep my sirens when movements detected, but at the volume level relative to the distance of the object! = So the closer the object is the louder the beeps!

A good scenario for this is if there are movements in the driveway, I'd want to get subtle to louder beeps based on distance of the person from the door :smiley:

Hi @tj1 ,

Are you still using the Tuya mmWave sensor? (I just found that I have never replied to your questions here).

I am practically not using the distance reports of these sensors and have the " Ignore distance reports" toggle switched on. Do you have an idea for an use case where the distance to the detected object can be of real use?

Recently I did some tests with fast in-memory processing of frequent events in a driver, so I was thinking on the possibilities to add some averaging/smoothing algorithm for the distance reports that are sent anyway from this device every second when there is a presence detected. The averaging will slow down the distance change rate to several seconds probably, hopefully, I will have the time to experiment in the next weeks.

Thank you for the feedback!
I have actually only 2 Tuya mmWave radars and I run these on two different hubs - one C-7 and one C-8. But as I know, @jw970065 is running much more on a single C-7 hub.

@jw970065 have you noticed any issues / slowdowns when using several (how many actually?) Tuya radars on one single hub?

2 Likes

I have 5 FP1s on a single C-7 and now a single C-8 with no issues.

1 Like

If it's a problem using multiple TUYA presence sensors, the person should think about whether they used the copy function to make the rule. There is a bug in the rule machine related to this.
I use several TUYA presence sensors for C-5, C-7, but there is no problem.
If someone is using a square-wall presence sensor, he should also be aware that it is a product with intermittent malfunction problems.

1 Like

I use 4 TUYA presence sensors for C-5 hubs and 3 TUYA presence sensors for C-7 hubs in my fishing cafe, and there is no particular delay issue.
And I use 6 TUYA presence sensors on my C-5 hub at home, and there are times when the presence sensors in the bathroom respond late.
My guess is that the front of the bathroom is the space that comes out of the room, so I think it happened after the detection distance of the toilet sensor was really short so that there was no malfunction.
The measurement distance of the mmwave sensors is not yet absolutely accurate. I think I should use it for nothing.

2 Likes

And to add to that, my friends use multiple hubs, and they use them comfortably without delay by separating the hubs that connect the devices and the hubs that execute the rules

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.