First official Hubitat C8 Review!

As others have said not possible. I asked about this very scenario here:

This is what I plan to do:

I have a few Quibino relays and they are my least favorite devices and a huge pain in the behind to reset and get into pairing mode. So I will migrate my 80 Zwave devices to the C8 and manually repair my 100 Zigbee devices since zigbee resets are much simpler and my zigbee devices are more accessible than some of my zwave.

2 Likes

Apparently, we just need to keep him busy. :wink: Welcome back @diySmartHomeGuy. Great video!

6 Likes

Almost wished there was a trade in program like cellphones. Get a new HE C8 for $xx after $xx trade in value for C7.

2 Likes

Dammit! :rofl:
I just bought a C7 for my son's birthday in Feb to get him of that ST thing.
Past the 30 days and still unopened, hoping we can flip it before the news get out. :frowning:
You know I ordered the C-8 yesterday though; I'm hook and they know it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Both antennas are dual band from what @mike.maxwell stated in the video last night. but is one connector Zigbee and the other ZWave, most likely since they are different chips but maybe they are combined on the circuit board? (don't know enough about this kind of stuff to speculate)

1 Like

yes.. Connector closest to the usb is Z-Wave .. The other is Zigbee

5 Likes

Same I just bought one recently and Def don't think I could resell the c-7 locally

On the YouTube presentation on Feb 28 I think one of the presenters said "don't plug it into a switch." Does anyone know why?

He meant don't put it on top of the switch due to possible signal interference. It would be pretty hard not to plug it into a switch lol. It's best not to have it on top of other equipment like that but even @mike.maxwell likes to live dangerously lol

2 Likes

The way he said it on YT, almost like an inside joke, I wondered if Mike was thinking someone might plug their C-8 into a switch-controlled receptacle, LOL.

Damm... bought the C7 in Feb and just got done setting it up. Ugghhh

1 Like

Whenever you decide to get a C-8, you can make use of Hubitat’s cloud backup to restore a C-7 backup on the C-8. Its quick, takes less than 20 mins and doesn’t require any devices to be re-paired.

2 Likes

Thanks. Just wish I waited a few weeks! Just ordered a few zigbee outlets to expand my mesh… probably end up with the same coverage.

2 Likes

Yeah, now what do I do with one of my C-7 hubs?

I do not have any cloud backup options so I assume I can not migrate. Besides, I have between 12 and 20 LAN devices I spent a lot of time getting to work. I could list them if anyone cared.

With .103 it will allow you to make a cloud backup for the purposes of migration at no charge.

3 Likes

OK, but I am running 2.3.5.104 and 95% of the updates are for the C8 so I am in no hurry to update to 2.3.5.117 yet. I clicked the button and it is thinking ... ... it added manual (unlike before) and saved it locally. I suspect some other setting is preventing a cloud option.

You need to make sure it's connected to the internet and there should be a migration specific button on there unless you subscribe to Hub Protect. If you subscribe to Hub protect, simply make a new cloud backup.

The newest update takes more than 5 minutes to reboot.

Pretty normal with the expanded database. It gets faster after a few boots

2 Likes