First Impressions

There is indeed such a plan. Although, this won't be limited to just the mobile app, nor will it be mobile app centric. We will be introducing some other dashboard-like ways to view devices, and when we introduce remote access, you will be able to use these remotely. Some users are accessing the hub remotely now with SmartTiles, for which they have the source code. That source code prohibits distribution. But, it's an existence proof as the capabilities to remotely access your hub.

3 Likes

There’s also a HousePanel, which is a lot more feature filled than SmartTiles and doesn’t have a distribution restriction on the source code. It does require you to setup a home webserver, either on a PC or rPi. They’ve been doing some impressive work on features lately, I’m probably going to update this weekend and play around with it again. It also supports devices from both Smartthings and Hubitat at the same time so it’ll ease migrating woes.

2 Likes

I hope the ability to reboot the hub remotely can be included. I have experienced issues recovering from a recent power outage that were only resolved by rebooting Hubitat after other zigbee routing devices were already powered on.

We will investigate this issue. It’s pretty interesting actually.

How long did Hubitat take to populate all the devices the first time you ran “Discover Devices”? Mine has been stuck at initializing for hours?

Also, have you been able to work with secure devices? I’m not sure how you would transfer the key to the Hubitat software on the Hub and I don’t see an option to set it.

What is it that you are trying to do? Did you add a new Zigbee or Z-Wave device?

Howdy... HP author here. Let me know if you need any help or if you have any feedback to improve the Hubitat integration. I admit for now the integration is a bit clunky requiring manual entry of hub IP info and no cloud endpoints. More will come with time.

1 Like

This product is in pre-release. Everyone realizes that right? We are early adopters. The best we can do is help the Hubitat team make it “ready for Prime Time”. Our efforts will benefit those that follow, just as I have benefited from the work that has been done to bring SmartThings to where it is at this moment in time.

1 Like

I think “early adopter” phase would be a better way of describing it. It’s released, but is really suitable for early adopters who don’t need all the bells and whistles (ha perhaps literally).

Not officially released. Indeed we are pre-release testers. I’m good with that and happy to contribute.

Hell, most products released to market are still varying stages of beta. I’d say this is late beta at least, if not pre-release. :wink:

Hell, let’s be honest here…
Most of us beta test smartthings firmware everytime a new version is released!

Andy

5 Likes

@SmartHomePrimer was talking about this in the ST group and I made the journey over. I actually didnt have any idea what you guys who had left had been up to… now I know.

I LOVE the idea of running things local.

My only two devices that I run custom are my Insteon stuff and my (soon to add) Konnected Alarm panel.

Need to get Nate from Konnected in here and the various people who have worked on Insteon control. I’d probably order tomorrow if I had any assurance their stuff would work.

1 Like

If you’re not afraid to get your hands a little dirty, you can do everything Konnected can do, and more, today using my HubDuino/ST_Anything code for Hubitat. You can even use the exact same ESP8266 hardware, and everything will run locally in your house. The software configuration only takes a few minutes if you already know your way around the Arduino IDE and libraries.

1 Like

@ogiewon

Thats the issue Dan. I am an utter novice at messing with this stuff. I started trying to learn when i got diagnosed with a return of cancer. As it stands I do this as a bit of a hobby but my health means my tinker time is limited and I often have to send my 9 year old to reset various things as I cant even easily climb the stairs in my own home.

I am frustrated with the direction ST is going and the more I read the more I want to support this effort.

My biggest concern is WifeApprovalFactor. Closely followed by my extremely limited knowledge of all things groovy, etc. I am sure the community can help me with part 2… only God can help me with part 1.

I have my current alarm linked to ST via a thingshield and an Arduino. I never got it further than commanded arm/disarm. But in all honesty thats what I wanted.

Every night at 11pm, all controlled lights off and arm alarm in stay mode.

Well, the good news is that HubDuino does support the ThingShield as well! But, it really depends on which Alarm Panel integration you’re using with SmartThings today’s to how easily the rest of the code can be moved.

I’d be happy to try to help you port over your current ThingShield Arduino code and ST Device Type Handler to Hubitat if you’re interested.

2 Likes

I will go back and look but it’s an ADT hardwired Vista20P

1 Like

Dan -
We should probably Twitter this to another thread but if love your help.

Ordering mine today

2 Likes

This is an edge case I think. I wanted to make the transition easiest by adding the Hubitat stick to the existing SmartThings Z-Wave mesh. This let’s me avoid any of the issues I was having with device support and configuring devices in the short term until the get fixed up.

The only original downside is that there’s no way to share the secure key from the SmartThings network with your controller software so I can’t share a some sensors and the locks. I also had issues with some Monoprice devices not entering the pairing cycle.

The latest changes to initialization have made it hard to finish this process and I may need to figure out how to factory reset the hub (I know how to do that for the stick.)

The trick is that you have to go to each battery device and enter it into inclusion mode to get Hubitat to pick up the details.

Hi,

I see a lot of the old SmartThings faces here!

I’m currently a SmartThings user and also write a lot of code for ST (Plex Integration among others)… but very interested in moving elsewhere for local running… and at first glance this seems an easy option! Just need to understand what that would involve…

I’ve done a bit of reading and the FAQs have answered most of my questions and from what I can see this is pretty similar to SmartThings with local running. It appears to have a very similar app coding structure to ST… one of the main things that was keeping me on ST is custom code I have setup for my own home automation plus community apps i have developed… is there anything that can tell me the key differences are and what porting apps involve? Or is this pretty much copy and paste of code…

Also as a new user can’t appear to post new topics? I would find that frustrating being a new user with an issue, just some feedback… and the reason I have posted here and not my own thread…

I’m UK based and see a recent announcement for UK shipping which is good, if I make the jump I’ll be porting my apps over for Plex and HostPinger and adding them to the community, looking forward to becoming part of it!

1 Like