First gen Ring z wave extender reduced in price to $14.99

Anyone thinking about monitoring your home for power outage, the Ring 1st Generation Z Wave extender has been reduced to $14.99 usd on Amazon. Works great with Hubitat for that purpose.
Ring Alarm Range Extender (1st Gen) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FQ6SDKY/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_SRJdFb2P0QXZQ

3 Likes

Looks like it's a Z-Wave plus device, so that's in its favor: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2666?selectedFrequencyId=2

2 Likes

These devices can also tell you if the power has gone out. Some here use them to shutdown the hub if the device goes onto "battery" for more then X minutes. This can help prevent against corruption if you live in an area with frequent outages.

Good deal, nice find.

1 Like

Trying to run an intelligent house in the UK is a real drag at times. "That looks interesting" thinks I, head to amazon thinking that it would be around £20-25, no discount but parity on the base price.

No. Base price here is £29.99. So around $40.

/sigh

Good idea though, I'll have to chase this a bit further. Thanks for the heads up :+1:

1 Like

Our hub has a battery? Wth, never knew

No, the Ring Extender has a battery. Some suggest you put the hub on a battery backup (APC/Tripp lite). Then program RM to shut down the hub if the EXTENDER switches to battery.

HE does NOT have a battery, if power is lost it will hard shut off, which is what we are trying to prevent with the controlled shut down.

1 Like

No, hubitat hub has no battery backup but many have purchased UPS battery backups so when power goes out, the hub and possibly router will stay powered. The ring z wave extender HAS A BATTERY. Hubitat knows when the Ring has switched from house power to its internal battery and then, through a rule can notify you of a power failure at your house

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

You have to manually restart it?

Well first you have to use an app that will shut down the hub safely. I use Cobra's "Power off shutdown" free app. You set it to shut your hub down BEFORE all power from you backup is lost. Then to restart the hub, if your home simply unplug the hubs power and plug it back it and the hub will reboot. If I'm away I use SONOFF Micro USB Smart WiFi Adaptor 5V, Smart Switch for Type A USB Devices https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083BKBKW5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_u31dFbEFFQ63M that I purchased from Amazon for $10. Once power is restored, i just use my phone to turn off this Sonos switch which is connected to the hubs power supply then turn it back on and the hub reboots. Not as complicated as you think lolo

2 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

Is this essentially the same thing as a Aeotec 6 Extender? I just bought one to beam to my door lock but this is even cheaper

I dont believe the Aeotec has a battery backup so dont think it can warn you of a power failure. I may be wrong. The Ring extender switches from electric power to its internal battery during a power failure and thats recorded by Hubitat

So really this is even better? :grinning:

I'm not sure but i believe it only acts as a z wave extender for the ring alarm and not all z wave devices. I have an Aeotic zwave extender myself and use this ring extender just to inform me of a power failure to trigger my hub shutdown.