First Days Migrating from Wink to Hubitat, Successes, Failures, and Solutions to Help Others…

Trying to Integrate Sonos now, and one thing I'm noticing is that Hubitat will NOT jump subnets to look for my sonos, even though it's out there and I have given HE access to that device. Would be nice if the native Sonos Integration app would simply let you hard-code in the IP address if you know it and know the HE has access to it...

It can. Enter the device id as the IP address in hexadecimal.

1 Like

Rule Machine is what I would expect to be the best place to create scripts or logic if you don't want to code or use the other built in apps. That said you certainly can just write your own apps in Groovy and load them in the system. Some folks also use Maker API to talk to a external system with Node-Red to write automations as well.

1 Like

There isn't something like what you're looking for. You have to just implement whatever you think you want to do in Rule Machine, turn on debug logging, and see if it does what you want it to. Or, like @mavrrick58 mentioned, get into writing your own code. It's still the same principle though. Write the code, implement, see what happens, rinse, and repeat.

3 Likes

Ii think I may have actually figured out how to easily EASILY setup the rules for leakSmart how I wanted to inside of HSM! I was playing around with Basic Rules and the Rules Machine, but then I thought to try to see how close I could get HSM... I HAVE NOT tested it yet, BUT, this is what I have so far!

In HSM, The Primary Rule setup is this...

Notice the Alerts and Sirens engage, but NOT VALVE manipulation...
Then, Custom Monitoring Rules, I created two rules...

The first rule looks like this...

The second rule looks like ths...

Sorry for the bolding but the text was getting lost in the screenshots...

As I have mentioned, I haven't tested this yet but am hoping it will work! Obviously it isn't going to do the battery checks and what not, but, I think it get's me pretty darn close! Let me know what ya'll think!

1 Like

And that's a wrap! For those of you here wondering what the learning curve is for Wink to Hubitat HE, how long it takes to set up your system and port everything over, even with more than 100 devices, lights, valves, sensors, triggers, security, rules (robots in wink), multiple hubs, repeaters, dashboard development, everything, it's about 1 day of stumbling and 3 solid days of doing. If you read this and avoid some of my pitfalls of inclusions/exclusions, learning to move the hub around, follow some of the idiosyncratic requirements for pairing some old legacy devices, you might be able to shave off a day or two just by reading this...

All in all, I'm BLOWN AWAY by Hubitat HE, it truly is a VERY powerful platform in a TINY device with a great community. While much of my setup is pretty elementary right now, I look forward to over-time, learning the coding/development syntax and working on deeper integrations in my house... So, if you are here considering the Hubitat HE, sheesh, you absolutely cannot go wrong... I'd gladly pay a couple hundred dollars more for this hub, knowing now what it does...

8 Likes

Since you are mostly z-wave, consider getting a Hub Protect subscription. It is a great hardware warranty for under $30 a year, and includes z-wave migration to a new hub should your hub fail.

8 Likes

We always appreciate people who document their experiences as it helps pave the way for those who follow. Thank you and welcome!

7 Likes

I would consider the rebooter app and have your hub reboot itself every night. I only recommend this on hubs that a lot of Z-wave.

If you have to reboot in that short of a time period then something is not right with your setup or devices. Usually once every couple of weeks or so.. but even then..

I have 68 Z-Wave devices on my C7 (Z-Wave Only) hub and have never rarely had to reboot other than updates. Of course I've offloaded a bunch of stuff so my hub resource utilization is pretty low to begin with.

3 Likes

speaking of resource utilization... :slight_smile:

The logs tab with Device Stats and Apps Stats is quite helpful ahead or behind an issue... take a look now and again to get a sense of your normal values. Then when you have an issue, check to verify that the current values are not far from normal.

Above are snaps of both Apps and Device stats for one of my busier hubs. The top one is less than a tenth of a percent. (% of Total column) That hub has a few Minutes of use out of 6 days.. I'm fearful Ice might form :smiley:

4 Likes

With my hubs that have little Z-wave I never have to reboot them. Zigbee and Lutron are my goto products that I run on my hubs. The 24 hour reboot might be an overkill but I recommend it to avoid high loaded locked up hubs. I can only go by my experience with Z-wave. The hub does not do this with any other protocol. By the way my Homeseer hubs did this on occasion with Z-wave as well. I suspect the protocol over the hub.

P.S. keep in mind that I have customers and I am not there at the location so healing the network and other options are not desirable to me.

1 Like

I certainly respect going with what works and causes less headaches for you and your clients. The concern is by rebooting that often you might end up causing corruption somehow.

I have not had to do this with my clients but the capability is there if needed. Everyone's experiences and tolerances for pain are different - I run a companion server with Node-RED, Homebridge and possibly WireGuard for example and wont hesitate to add another HE hub into the mix. I also agree with your use of Lutron and Zigbee.

:+1:

4 Likes

I'm going to roll out my drawing again... :smiley:

I think it's good as a block diagram... you may not use HubConnect, just swap in "Hub Mesh" and nothing changes. Same with "Node-Red" -- some use HomeAssistant to be the "companion rule engine" and again, the block diagram is unchanged. :smiley:

HomeAutomationAsASystem

For some, just one of the middle columns is enough :slight_smile: A single hub. For others, just the two left most columns are right. Others don't want/need Lutron... and so on... just cover up what you don't want/use and the drawing can be a sort of roadmap into a possible future. :smiley:

3 Likes

Keep in mind I avoid Z-wave and it has solved the issue. I mainly use Lutron and Zigbee and it works great. My hubs are perfect and never die and I never have to "heal" the network....it just works!

My issue is if someone is considering a Zigbee switch or a Z-wave switch they should choose Zigbee.

Again I had issues with Z-wave using Homeseer hubs so this is a protocol problem not a hub problem. If the protocol says it can do 4 hops and it real can not; then that is a real issue.

1 Like

I think you are absolutely right.. protocol is def on the wonky side. Device and Radio Firmware updates have helped. I have only a few vendors like Zooz and (newer) GE that I will buy Z-Wave devices from for projects where the client does not want to go the Lutron route. I also tend to overbuild a bit just in case.

I've played around with a few GE Zigbee switches but the feature set isn't quite there yet. - Smart Bulb mode, Scene Controller etc.. though that may be just an update to the driver and or device firmware.

I certainly avoid installing Z-Wave locks if I can help it. In fact as I progress with my home system I find myself installing more Zigbee devices than Z-Wave.. have about 170 devices now - 100 or so are Zigbee. My Zigbee devices are on a C5, My Z-Wave are on a C7.

2 Likes

We should get a tour of your house. It sounds great!

2 Likes