Firmware updates on a firewalled network

I recently got my hub installed into my network and started poking around. One of the first things I checked was firmware updates, but it looks like the automatic mechanism requires a connection to the Internet. Because of concerns for security, I have this particular network of devices firewalled from everything else, including the Internet. How do I go about updating my hub firmware in this sort of environment?

You can't it requires internet connectivity to update. There is no offline update mechanism for the hub firmware.

This post (while >2 years old) may be useful as well to understand other connectivity needs:

1 Like

Darn. That's what I was afraid of. If I do temporarily connect the hub to the Internet and perform an update, is there any way to roll back if I encounter bugs? As much as possible, I keep a repository of firmware for everything I own so that I can roll back when I inevitably encounter a bug. I'd like a similar amount of functionality here as well.

Yes, you can roll back firmware - but that also requires an internet connection (I actually don't know if it requires an internet connection - I've never tried it without one. See below).

Your hub configuration can be downloaded locally, though.

That works for me. Thanks!

1 Like

Are you sure about this? My understanding is the previous few platform firmware versions were actually stored on the hub, but I am not 100% certain.

I know reverting firmware is much, much quicker than upgrading to a new version...

2 Likes

There you go again correcting me... :wink:

No, I'm not sure. Actually I always just ASSUMED (uh oh!) it re-downloaded them.

That would be great if it cached (at least 1 or 2) previous versions on the hub.

Good point, you are definitely right on that. I guess I never thought about it much... I corrected my post above for posterity.

Thanks for keeping me honest (or at least not speculative!!!). Apparently I need to be more clear when I'm assuming/not sure on a few things.

2 Likes

EDIT: Yes, support confirmed that previous firmware versions ARE cached on the hub. Learn something new all the time!

1 Like

Old habits have me download to my local PC a backup before and after any major changes, either hub updates or significant changes in configuration. Like new RM4 automation etc.

I'm sure nobody cares but my first backup was "2018-06-15_1.0.9.118.lzf"

John

1 Like

For me, 2019-05-22_2.0.9.133.

At some point I am sure these are worthless, and I was actually going to post the other day to ask if there was any reason to keep anything from that far back.

I put my local backups I make before upgrading into a folder I auto-purge monthly with a script. So mine don't go back that far.

1 Like

2018-02-03_1.0.0.662.lzf is my earliest backup. :wink:

2 Likes

Showoff! :wink:
2018-02-04_1.0.0.670.lzf

1 Like

I would hate to see y'alls junk drawers if you pack rat things like that. :slight_smile:

(meant as a joke)

5 Likes

Also if the hub(s) have no internet access any rules that use the sunset/sunrise will not work correctly. You will have to have a LAN NTP server to adjust time so those rules work correctly unless you are doing all that manually via the settings.

If this helps at all, many routers can act as NTP (network time protocol) servers for all devices on the LAN side of things. In my case, I am running the ASUS-wrt code on my router and I have 2 different ntp implementations to pick from.

If one cannot download a new hub update to a PC, and install from there, this forces firewalled users to poke temporary holes in their firewalls. That really sucks, but one could also move an ethernet cable from a firewalled/defended subnet to the DMZ for the upgrade.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.